Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre phone adaptor

deva2005
On our wavelength

Hi all

Looking for some help please.

We have just received the fibre phone adaptor in the post.

Whilst it mentions about plugging the phone cable into this and into the hub, we use the phone socket in our upstairs room for the phone and the hub is in a downstairs cupboard. 

Can anyone please help me to understand what needs to be done to allow us to still use our landline after 27th October?

I am extremely anxious and worried about losing the landline and also stressed if we need to have an engineer enter our home.

I hope someone might be able to help me with this matter?

Thanks a lot in advance 

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@deva2005 wrote:

Thinking more about this, would it not be possible to somehow connect the hub to the existing phone socket and then use the phone normally without the need for someone in the home for works????

I never asked for this upgrade and have been completely satisfied with the phone system as it is, now this change is being forced upon us and is causing anxiety and distress

If you want to use a phone upstairs supplied from the phone connection via the VM hub, but you don't want a technician to visit and enter your home to do any wiring, then you could consider using a cordless phone setup.

You could plug the cordless base station into the phone connection from the hub and then use a cordless extension handset upstairs. This would require no additional wiring and you should be able to set it up yourself without needing a technician visit. A twin pack of base station and two handsets is usually around a £35 to £60-ish kind of price depending on the chosen phone/features.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @deva2005,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I can confirm that you won't lose your landline after 27th October.

Once the home phone changeover takes place you will need to plug your existing landline into the adapter and then into your hub, your hub shouldn't be placed in a cupboard as it needs to be out in the open and away from any obstructions to be able to provide a strong and stable WiFi connection.

If you would like to have extensions put into your home, we can arrange this for a date after your change over has been completed, would you like me to arrange this for you?

Regards,

Steven_L

deva2005
On our wavelength

Hi Steven

Thanks for the reply, I meant that the hub is in a downstairs room well away from where our main telephone point is.

What is meant by an extension?

Does this mean that we cannot use our phone in the existing socket after 27th October 2021?

Sorry for so many questions, but the thought of needing an engineer inside our home when we have vulnerable people is making me unwell

Thanks

David

Ah ok @deva2005, sorry I saw cupboard and went onto autopilot for that scenario.

We would give you an additional socket other than the hub that you will be able to plug the phone into but without the additional socket being installed, you would only be able to use your landline via plugging this into your hub after 27th October.

Regards,

Steven_L

deva2005
On our wavelength

Hi Steven

Thanks again, can you please advise me in detail what is involved with installation of an extra socket, where it would be needexand costs also

Thanks

David

Of course @deva2005.

The technician will install the additional sockets, I cannot describe in full detail of what will happen with regards to the wiring that will be done but  the engineer would need to access the room with your hub and the rooms that. We can install the extra sockets wherever you like and this will be free of charge for you but can only be done after the changeover has happened.

If you have anyone in the house that is vulnerable it may better that they stay away from the engineer at all times that they are in the house. We normally advise that you would stay two metres away from the engineer at all times and in a separate room if possible.

Regards,

Steven_L  

deva2005
On our wavelength

Thinking more about this, would it not be possible to somehow connect the hub to the existing phone socket and then use the phone normally without the need for someone in the home for works????

I never asked for this upgrade and have been completely satisfied with the phone system as it is, now this change is being forced upon us and is causing anxiety and distress

Thanks for coming back to us @deva2005, I'm not 100% sure if the technician could wire up to the existing socket but I know that at the moment the existing socket will be deactivated on 27th October and you will only be able to use your phone line via your hub until an engineer can come and wire up your additional sockets.

The change is taking place as the old copper lines that power the existing phone lines are decommissioned across all operators over the UK and this has to be completed by 2025, we are changing over our entire customer base region by region and that date has been chosen for your region on 27th October.

Regards,

Steven_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@deva2005 wrote:

If you want to use a phone upstairs supplied from the phone connection via the VM hub, but you don't want a technician to visit and enter your home to do any wiring, then you could consider using a cordless phone setup.

You could plug the cordless base station into the phone connection from the hub and then use a cordless extension handset upstairs. This would require no additional wiring and you should be able to set it up yourself without needing a technician visit. A twin pack of base station and two handsets is usually around a £35 to £60-ish kind of price depending on the chosen phone/features.