cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre optic migration and home security

Kris-Myriam
Joining in

Hi,

I would like to have confirmation about the right order; the VM engineer should make the change to fibre optic before we get an ADT security technician to make their change to the security system? The other way around it would cause problems?

thank you 

6 REPLIES 6

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Kris-Myriam, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

We would recommend having a technician to complete the set up to ensure that any additional services on the line continue to work. 

Do you have a visit booked for this to take place? 

Thanks,

Nat

Yes

we have a VM technician scheduled, my question is about getting the timings right for our home security, i.e. should this be after the VM change

@Kris-Myriam wrote:

Yes

we have a VM technician scheduled, my question is about getting the timings right for our home security, i.e. should this be after the VM change

A common VM switchover process is to send a VM technician to do the switchover and move the phone connection to the back of the VM hub first of all. Often as a separate follow-up visit VM sends a technician to modify your home phone wiring so that your existing home phone sockets (presumably including your alarm system phone extension connection) become linked to the VM hub's phone socket (but often you need to make this clear to VM you want that doing as part of the free switchover process).

What is the ADT technician planning to do that would conflict with the VM changeover? Some sort of conversion so the alarm uses a mobile signal to dial out? Or something different/some other reason you are anticipating a problem?

Thank you for you reply.

we got a letter from VM saying that due to the switchover some processes might not work such as home security. So I contacted ADT and they responded by sending a contract agreement and scheduling an engineer. This is now scheduled for immediately after the VM technician visit. I am still a bit confused as no one else seems to think this will be necessary. So I feel we haven’t had the full communication on this. Surely we are not the only family with this question and if we are then we are probably misunderstanding what is happening. I now see from the answers that everything will be taken care of by VM, even the alarm system connection?

many thanks,

Kristien

Hey Kris-Mryiam, thank you for reaching out and letting us know this.

This sounds like this might be sending it as a safely just to make sure its a smooth process.

Please do keep us updated on how this does. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

With zero information on how the ADT alarm is connected, giving advice is pure guess work.

E.g. is the ADT Alarm connected to a dedicated phone line, or via WiFi or a network cable, or perhaps it has a SIM card in it