cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre adapter and cable tv

steveo22
Tuning in

I have been sent a fibre phone adapter to connect the home phone to the hub. The phone is downstairs and needs to stay there, but the hub is upstairs and can’t move as the cable tv is connected to the hub from a box on an upstairs wall.

Please can you advise how we can have tv and phone both working when switchover to fibre is made?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@steveo22 wrote:

I have been sent a fibre phone adapter to connect the home phone to the hub. The phone is downstairs and needs to stay there, but the hub is upstairs and can’t move as the cable tv is connected to the hub from a box on an upstairs wall.

Please can you advise how we can have tv and phone both working when switchover to fibre is made?

Ask VM to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@steveo22 wrote:

Ask VM to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @steveo22,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing some complications regarding the set up at home with a switchover to fibre landline services. You can find more information regarding the switchover here.

Let us know if you have any further questions, and if moving the equipment in any other way isn't going to be suitable for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

steveo22
Tuning in

A further development to the questions below. As a very helpful contributor suggested, I called Virgin to arrange for an engineer to come and reroute the cable tv and hub to enable the phone line to connect to the hub. They booked an engineer for 29th November and informed me that the fibre switchover was scheduled for the same day. So there was no immediate urgency.

I came back on 4th November to find that the phone line was dead. I knew what had happened, but phoned Virgin to ask why it was not working and they said the switchover had been done. When I told them I had been given assurances nothing would happen until 29th, there was no apology, no acknowledgment of the problems this has caused, just a promise that I would get a call from the tech team the following day between 8am and 12pm. This call never happened and I phoned again. Again, no apology and no acknowledgement, and I was told I had no need to worry because I would definitely get a call that day.

It is now the following day and there has been no call. I have had enough and have readied an order for Sky. We are out of contract with Virgin, so it will not cost anything further with them. I didn’t mention before that it is not my house, it is my elderly mother’s and the phone is connected to a panic alarm which no longer works either. I told Virgin all this but they don’t seem to care. 

If Virgin would just sort out the mess they have made, I would probably stay with them, but it seems inevitable that nothing will happen until the date that suits them and they don’t care about leaving an older person without a phone or panic alarm until then. 

Hi @steveo22,

I'm so sorry you've not had the best experience with us. It's certainly not the level of service we aim to provide. 

I'd love to take a closer look into this so will pop you a PM now to confirm some details. 

Speak soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I had a couple of emails from what appeared to be a Virgin representative, but who asked for bank and payment details. Internet security guidance led me to request an alternative means of contact (that Virgin would have), but the forum has said it can’t send my reply.

How can I know a person claiming to represent Virgin on here does actually do so?

Hi steveo22, thanks for getting back to us.  

I can see that you're now liaising with my colleague Ayisha, so I will leave you in her capable hands.  However, in answer to your question.  You can check us all out, here.

Regards

Lee_R

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@steveo22 wrote:

I had a couple of emails from what appeared to be a Virgin representative, but who asked for bank and payment details. Internet security guidance led me to request an alternative means of contact (that Virgin would have), but the forum has said it can’t send my reply.

How can I know a person claiming to represent Virgin on here does actually do so?

1) Only legitimate Virgin forum staff are allowed to use the Virgin logo in their username AND as their avatar.

2) Asking you for your bank sort code is a legitimate security question. You will never be asked for your bank account number or any other bank details.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ok thanks for clarifying

I sent the security details you asked for. Did you receive them?