cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Roll Out

Tom52
Joining in

Withheld numbers.

I have to receive frequent calls from NHS services and surgeries. All their numbers are withheld. If the new fibre system is going to block all these calls, how am I to receive these calls as I have no idea what number they are calling from so cannot advise them to prefix my number with1470! I gather BT have delayed their roll out for this and other reasons, will Virgin do the same?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

ACR is available as a feature on the new VM 21CV service but off by default if I recall correctly (previously from the broken link above).

Previous page stated (via 'Wayback Machine')

'Anonymous Call Reject won’t be added automatically so you can still receive important calls from your doctor, carers or hospital. You can switch it on later if you’d like to.'

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What makes you think "the new fibre system" will block calls?

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Tom52, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Apologies here but I am really unsure of the context - as I am not aware of any change that would block calls coming through to you. If you could help with what information you have seen or have, so I can have a better understanding 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This BT press release has appeared in various recycled forms just recently (which mentions improvements to 'scam call shielding' amongst other things).

https://newsroom.bt.com/were-pausing-our-digital-voice-plans-for-consumers-while-we-work-on-a-more-r...

VM's own switchover page (past link for which now seems to be broken and redirecting to main VM URL at time of writing this)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone/switchover

used to mention anonymous call rejection being a standard feature of the new 21CV service (although IIRC it used to say it is off by default).

I quote from the leaflet which has arrived with my adaptor.

"Anonymous caller rejection, Ths means that anyone who withholds their number won't be able to get through to you. Got friends and family with a number that's automatically withheld? No worries. They just need to dial 1470 before they call your number."

I think tha pretty well covers every NHS number and no doubt hundreds of other organisations.

From my experience recently most nuisance callers are now managing to use a land or mobile number to circumvent being automatically rejected.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

ACR is available as a feature on the new VM 21CV service but off by default if I recall correctly (previously from the broken link above).

Previous page stated (via 'Wayback Machine')

'Anonymous Call Reject won’t be added automatically so you can still receive important calls from your doctor, carers or hospital. You can switch it on later if you’d like to.'

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Okay, I'm with it now haha! 

Thank you @goslow and yeah you're 100% right, it's off by default @Tom52 - it's not something we would set without being asked to do so. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Thanks. I'll await my changeover.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem at all 🙂 

Cheers,

Ryan.