cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Network switchover - Hub and Phone Socket

zeefour
Up to speed

Due to be switched over in May.

The main phone line is downstairs in a hall attached to the main phone of three cordless phones. The VM router is upstairs in a bedroom some distance away - and also has all four ports on the back in use. These are necessarily hardwired due to work to computers and other use such as routing the WiFi over electricity etc.

First question is how will we be able to set up the new digital service if we're unable to use Port 1 on the router? 

Secondly, will the phone line need to plug into the adapter on the router permanently, or is this just a one-off while setting up? If so then I can buy a long cable. If it's permanent, then I'm not paying to have a cable drilled through the house or move the phone into a bedroom. So that would mean cancelling the phone service or is it possible to set this up via a secondary router?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@zeefour wrote:

The main phone line is downstairs in a hall attached to the main phone of three cordless phones. The VM router is upstairs in a bedroom some distance away - and also has all four ports on the back in use. These are necessarily hardwired due to work to computers and other use such as routing the WiFi over electricity etc.

First question is how will we be able to set up the new digital service if we're unable to use Port 1 on the router? 

Secondly, will the phone line need to plug into the adapter on the router permanently, or is this just a one-off while setting up? If so then I can buy a long cable. If it's permanent, then I'm not paying to have a cable drilled through the house or move the phone into a bedroom. So that would mean cancelling the phone service or is it possible to set this up via a secondary router?

Thanks for any help.

Read this topic and the link which advises that you should be able to get a technician visit FOC to deal with extension sockets linked to the hub's phone connection

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Phone-and-hub-are-in-different-rooms/td-p/4965534

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @zeefour

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂 Thank you for making this post regarding your Fibre Network switchover. To answer your first question, your landline will be connected to the seperate Telco Ports on the Hub, not the Ethernet Ports. These ports are located at the top of the Hub 3 or below the 4 Ethernet ports on the Hub 4. So you will still e able to use all four ethernet connections as well as connect your landline.

The phone line will need to be plugged in to the Hub permanently, so I would recommend buying a long cable.

If you have any further questions please do pop back!

Kind regards,

Serena

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@zeefour wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Read this topic and the link which advises that you should be able to get a technician visit FOC to deal with extension sockets linked to the hub's phone connection

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Phone-and-hub-are-in-different-rooms/td-p/4965534

Thanks for the clarification on the ports, much appreciated.

I only suggested a long cable if it were a temporary 'plug and go' scenario.

The hub is a way from the phone in the hall, so I wouldn't leave a cable traipsing around the house, so possibly need a technician visit or will cancel the phone.

Sorry another question but if the engineer comes in, what do they do in order to connect the hub to the phone? If it's drilling through the house then that isn't going to happen for various reasons, so would be helpful to know what they would do! Thanks!

Thanks so much goslow, that makes sense, I've read through the thread and we'll just have to decide whether to get an engineer or cancel the phone!

@zeefouron the basis that the main (base unit) phone has to be connected some way directly to the hub then I can see only two options.

Either, the base unit is moved to where the hub is now and connected directly and if that leaves a gap in the room where it was which couldn’t be filled by moving the satellite units around, then you would need to get an additional cordless unit for that room, or a new telephone cable would need to be run from the hub to where the current base station is. This could be done by the VM engineer, but, I can’t see any reasonable way that this could be done without drilling through the walls and possibly ceiling to run the cable.

Thanks jem101, yes that makes sense. Basically the house is going up for sale so I think it'd be best to cancel the phone rather than do yet more work just before selling! Appreciate the help.