cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Phone line

wpj
Joining in

What a shambles!  My phone line is due to be switched over to fibre tomorrow (22 July). When I was informed of this I used the virgin media web site to book a free technician as suggested - I did this again about one week later with a different contact telephone number. On both occasions the web site responded to say that I would be called to arrange a technician visit. Some weeks have passed and no telephone call!  Today I telephoned Virginmedia and after several largely unhelpful conversations it transpired that they had no recorded of my requests and that I should book a technician appointment for 12 August, for which there would be a charge!   The 'do it your self' solution only works if the telephone socket is very close to the Virgin hub so my guess is that Virgin has been overwhelmed by request for technician visits, which it is unable to handle!  It looks as if I will be without a telephone for several weeks, which is clearly unacceptable.  Has anyone else had this or similar experiences?  Is it time to change provider?

8 REPLIES 8

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi wpj, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've not been getting the help you need. 

If your phone line is changing over then this means it won't need to be plugged in to the box on the wall at all. Instead it will be plugged straight in to the back of the Hub. 

This should allow you to get an active and working phoneline while you're waiting for your engineer visit. 

If you need any further assistance, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Previous topic below from the OP

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Phone-extensions/m-p/4771834

The OP has jumped through all of the right hoops as advised by VM to accommodate the connection of the extension sockets to match with the phone switchover date. Includes a mention that the existing phone sockets are a long way from the hub position, which was the OP's reason for the original request. Nothing to say in VM's published info that distance from the hub position is an obstacle to reconnecting extensions as far as I have been able to find. Having done as requested by VM, the OP finds it was all a waste of his/her time.

Info on the 21CV help page still reads

I have several phones connected to extensions – will these work?
Yep, when our technician pops around to install your new Hub (if you need one ) they’ll make sure all your phones work too. Please make sure you respond to our calls to schedule a technician visit.

Long overdue that VM updates the info it publishes on this subject. At best it's inaccurate and at worst untrue and misleading. Replace with something along the lines of the reply from @Corey_C on the subject

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Phone-extensions/m-p/4772037#M155687

and customers would have a much clearer understanding of the reality of the phone move in regard to phone extension sockets.

Sorry goslow, 

It looks like I missed that originally. 

If the engineer appointment wasn't correctly booked then there won't be anything we can do to bring the appointment forward I'm afraid. 

My post would still stand in terms of while waiting for the engineer, at least the OP should have a working landline as this will be connected to the Hub. 

The extensions can then be done once the engineer visit arrives 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I think the remaining issue at hand for the OP is whether the OP is getting the tech visit FOC as part of the migration to 21CV (as seemed to be the direction of travel in the earlier topic and in accordance with VM's published information on 21CV) or whether the OP now has to pay for that (as seemingly there is no record of the OP's previous contact/booking request and now a suggestion of having to pay to get the work done).

The engineer visit would be free but re-reading the OP's post, it sounds as though no visit was actually booked. 

@wpj Can you please let me know if you did book the engineer visit for August? If not, I'll be able to get a visit booked for you and just to put your mind at ease - this will be free. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

I booked an engineers appointment via the virgin media web site  of two occasions - with different contact numbers.  I received the response that I would be telephoned to arrange a visit. So far nothing!

No, I have not booked an engineers appointment for August but why are my original requests not logged in your system?

Hi wpj, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

As the switchover is happening today, you should be able to plug your landline into the Hub to have that line working and then the engineer can sort the extensions out during the visit. 

Due to the experience you have had, I have sent you a further message regarding raising a complaint. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team