Menu
Highlighted
Garfield59
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Faulty phone extension

Hi, this is my first post. I have an extension in a workshop that stopped working when the plug on the end of it where it plugged into the master socket in the house got damaged ( long story). I have replaced some cable and there is continuity when I check the three cores I intend to use i.e. Blue/White, White/Blue and Orange/White so the connections are sound.

I am now trying to get the correct sequence of colours to crimp on a BT431a plug. I tried B/W on 2, O/W on 3 and W/B on 5 but it didn't work and neither did the other phones, which worked previously, when I plugged it into the master socket. Anyone know the correct sequence please? Lots of stuff on line about wiring sockets but nothing useful on wiring BT plugs 

Would it be better to hard wire the extension into the lower front plate of the master socket?

Thanks in anticipation!

Garfield

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Faulty phone extension

You need to have pins 2 and 5 connected for an extension, most phones done need the ringer wire on pin 3.

Whatever you colour you connect on the master pull out faceplate just mirror it on the extension 

Garfield59
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I will try this tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Garfield59
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Update. Tried today and it works! Workshop connected to outside world again! Many thanks to Alessandro.
0 Kudos
Garfield59
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Help! After apparently solving the original problem a couple of days ago by hard wiring an extension, another fault has developed.
If anyone rings the house the bell rings once and it goes to crack ling interference. 1471 records the callers number but callers don't get a chance to leave a message. Therefore we cannot take incoming calls on any phone in the house. I can make calls from the house but with a lot of crackling in the background which makes conversation impossible.
Could this be an issue with having the orange/White wire connected to sockets but only two sides in phone plugs?
Any suggestions appreciated, many thanks.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your extension wiring seems to be damaged, perhaps go cordless

0 Kudos
Garfield59
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sadly we can't use cordless because the walls are well made and there are three between the base phone and where we want the extension. I just disconnected the extension and the house phones are fine again so the fault does seem to be in the extension. I think I will be buying and installing a new extension tomorrow once I have worked out a route for it.
Will keep you posted..
Gary
0 Kudos
Garfield59
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well yesterday I installed a brand new cable and socket and we have a working extension with no crackling or interference. Job done!
0 Kudos