cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extensions to VM landline

DougW12
Tuning in

I have just ordered a landline to add to my VM hub. During the order process I was asked if I had phone extensions and I told them I did. However, looking at the set up for the fibre landline one phone has to be connected to the router with the new cable. But how do I link up the existing two wire extensions in the house to the router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DougW12 wrote:

Hello

A Virgin engineer has fitted adaptors to the phone socket in the back of the router. One goes directly to a nearby phone and another goes to an extension socket. All the phones on the extensions have dialling tones, but they do not ring. The only way to get a phone to ring is to take the plug out of the extension socket, then the only phone that rings is the one connected directly to the router.

Does anyone have any ideas how, if possible to fix this? 

Could be an issue with your phone(s) or could be an issue with how the extra wiring has been connected up. Firstly, start with the phones.

Based on past topics on here, phones from the early 2000's and before may have issues with non-ringing once they are no longer connected to a conventional master socket.

What sort of age are the phones you are trying to connect?

Try each phone on its own in turn. Remove the extension cabling connectors from the VM phone adapter in the back of the hub.

Using just the VM phone adapter connected into the VM hub, try each individual phone in turn, one at a time, and see if you get a ringing sound for an incoming call. You will then know for each phone if it is capable of ringing on its own when it alone is connected to the VM hub.

Finally, how many phones have you been trying to connect in total? A recent topic suggests 3 phones total (REN = 3) is the maximum for connecting to the phone socket on a Hub 3.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @DougW12,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your question on the forums.

We would be able to fit extensions into your home that would work in conjunction with the fibre phoneline via your hub, have you been offered a technician visit as part of the changeover process? If not, we could arrange an appointment once the changeover has taken place.

Please let me know if you need me to arrange for a visit.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi

Yes they did offer a technician but they didn't tell me they would need to fit new extensions. Do you have an idea of the cost?

Thanks

Doug

Thanks for coming back to us @DougW12, the visit would be free of charge as part of the phone changeover.

Regards,

Steven_L

OH, OK are you a VM engineer?

Thanks

Doug

I'm not a Virgin engineer @DougW12 but I do work on the forum team(If you're not sure that I'm a staff member or just want to check, you can find me here on our 'good folk to know' section) and can arrange for a engineer visit. Would you like me to set this up for you?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi

I'm trying to decide if I need new extensions through the house or I will just buy a set of cordless phones that will link to the base station which will be connected to the router.

Thanks
Doug

No problem at all @DougW12

If you wish to have an appointment just drop back here and we can get it arranged for you.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi

Just so I understand, to activate my existing phone extensions does new cable need to be installed, or is there some kind of kit that enables the router to connect to the extensions using the existing cables? 

Thanks
Doug

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DougW12 wrote:

Hi

Just so I understand, to activate my existing phone extensions does new cable need to be installed, or is there some kind of kit that enables the router to connect to the extensions using the existing cables? 

Thanks
Doug

Do you happen to have an existing phone socket nearby to the router?

If so, VM use a cable (as per photo in message #9 below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M143805

to link the phone socket on the router into an existing phone socket. This 'backfeeds' the new phone connection into the existing sockets.

If you do not have a phone socket near to the hub, VM will fit one and join it to your existing sockets or they may choose to link the connection in some other way.