cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extensions dead after forced landline upgrade to 27AC

graham1210
Tuning in

I have had a Virgin media landline since 1998, with two sockets installed by Virgin media for connected phones in different rooms.

Recently, following reporting a phone fault, I was forcibly switched over to the new standard for hub-based telephony (27AC).  This seemed to be standard procedure for any phone fault reported that was not already on 27AC.  Since this was done as a time-critical action, there was no discussion beforehand about what would happen with the extension sockets.   The engineer who called had just completed training, and had not been briefed on how to keep the extension sockets working.  He got the hub-based phone working (which is in an inconvenient location).  He then consulted with colleagues and told me I would be rescheduled to have the extensions work.  No further useful action happened, and I am now being told (by VM Customer Services) that the extensions are my responsibility to hire someone to connect.  I believe this to be wrong, based on various posts in the community (the most useful one is https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Help-VoIP-switchover-and-extensions/td-p/4812456 ) and on the master switch-over page https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover which says

I have multiple handsets plugged in, will all my handsets continue to work?

No – for phone extensions to continue to work, you’ll need to book a technician to make some changes to the Virgin Media wiring in your home.  (it is clear from the context that this is a Virgin Media technician)

My understanding from reading the community is that the normal solution to this is to that the VM engineer first disconnects the master socket feed from the incoming house cable, leaving it simply as isolated wiring.  The engineer then fits a backfeed cable from the hub’s telephone socket into the master telephone socket, which would also have the effect of feeding the extensions.  In my case, it may be a little more complicated, since the master socket is on the opposite side of the room from the hub. 

I do not wish to use DECT/ cordless phones, so please don’t anyone suggest that.

On being told it was my responsibility I have had the helpdesk raise a complaint (C-121022729).  I am raising on this forum also, since I see similar issues have progressed here.  Can anybody help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@graham1210 wrote:

I have had a Virgin media landline since 1998, with two sockets installed by Virgin media for connected phones in different rooms.

<snip>

On being told it was my responsibility I have had the helpdesk raise a complaint (C-121022729).  I am raising on this forum also, since I see similar issues have progressed here.  Can anybody help?

It is quite common now for VM to do a conversion to 21CV (21st century voice) instead of fixing a fault on an existing telephone line.

The act of doing that though should not leave you materially disadvantaged in using your existing phone setup, nor bring about significant additional costs in having to buy a new phone system. The VM tech should have remedied the issue or, if not capable himself to do so, refer it on for another visit.

If your hub and existing phone socket are on the opposite site of the same room, a tech should be able to run in another phone cable from the existing socket in that room to a location next to the VM hub and then connect a new phone extension socket there. The rest of the process would be as you describe ref. the adapter lead etc.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@graham1210 wrote:

<snip>

It is quite common now for VM to do a conversion to 21CV (21st century voice) instead of fixing a fault on an existing telephone line.

The act of doing that though should not leave you materially disadvantaged in using your existing phone setup, nor bring about significant additional costs in having to buy a new phone system. The VM tech should have remedied the issue or, if not capable himself to do so, refer it on for another visit.

If your hub and existing phone socket are on the opposite site of the same room, a tech should be able to run in another phone cable from the existing socket in that room to a location next to the VM hub and then connect a new phone extension socket there. The rest of the process would be as you describe ref. the adapter lead etc.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @graham1210,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you're having some issues following a recent changeover to our 21CV technology, which allows your landline handset to connect and directly operate through a socket on your broadband router.

I'd just like for you to expand on the situation at hand for me if you can. Is the landline that's connected into the router experiencing any issues at all? If not then any cordless handsets you have should also operate. Are you saying that there are multiple corded handsets in the home that are no longer working via the other sockets in the home?

I just want to make sure we have the situation at hand clarified before we take the next steps into helping you get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks,

Alex, you ask : Are you saying that there are multiple corded handsets in the home that are no longer working via the other sockets in the home?

yes, this is exactly my problem.  I do not use cordless and do not want to.  So I have corded handsets on the other sockets in the home.  And these are now dead.

Thanks for getting back to me graham1210,

I can arrange a technician to help with this, I'll need a few details from you first so I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

graham1210
Tuning in

To update on progress, the engineer called this morning.  Having conferred with another engineer, he agreed that the backfeed was possible in this scenario.  He was prepared to do it, but the complication is that the hub is on the opposite side of the room from the master phone socket.  Moving the hub near the phone socket is not optimal from my point of view – running a thick wire across a full-height window, and not such an advantageous wifi position for reaching the rest of the house.  We discussed whether a new master phone socket could be placed near the hub, and the old master socket become a slave off that one.  His concern with that approach was creating a new configuration while having no baseline of what worked correctly at the start – having been converted to 21CV the sockets were dead, and in any case I had a fault back when all this started.  I had to sympathise with that position.  We discussed moving the hub to another room, and in the end this is what we decided to do.  The hub will be moved to the study, which is where the BT hub was before I self-installed the Virgin hub 2 years ago.   This will definitely give me a hard-wired phone in the study, which I have been missing.  Meanwhile I still have a series of BT extensions running through the house, which I plan to disconnect from the BT master socket and plug them into the Virgin hub.  So the Virgin hard-wired extension will be redundant, which I am beginning to think is a good thing, since it seems this is an area where Virgin’s customer service and engineering knowledge is already dwindling, and this will only get worse over time.

A new appointment has been made to move the hub, since this involves running a new internet cable round the outside of the house to the study.

I think the lesson here is that the original fault should have been investigated BEFORE the conversion to 21CV.  This would have kept more options open.  Additionally this backfeed method of maintaining working extensions needs to be better publicised within Virgin – Customer Services seem unaware of it, and only a subset of the engineers understand it.  Because Customer Services don’t know about it in any systematic way, their approach is a bit random – they do not directly request engineers to do it, they either advise to wait for the engineers to do their own scheduling, or advise that it’s not Virgin’s problem.

Hi @graham1210 thanks a lot for your follow-up message.

I am very sorry that this has proved problematic for you, please accept my apologies.

If you do require any further help in the future following the latest engineer appointment, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

@graham1210 wrote:

<snip>

I think the lesson here is that the original fault should have been investigated BEFORE the conversion to 21CV.  This would have kept more options open.  Additionally this backfeed method of maintaining working extensions needs to be better publicised within Virgin – Customer Services seem unaware of it, and only a subset of the engineers understand it.  Because Customer Services don’t know about it in any systematic way, their approach is a bit random – they do not directly request engineers to do it, they either advise to wait for the engineers to do their own scheduling, or advise that it’s not Virgin’s problem.

A very good summary of the flaws in VM's approach to moving connections to 21CV phone via the hub. You are spot on with your assessment here. I find it baffling that VM can send out telecoms technicians who cannot wire up telephone sockets and do not understand the basics of how they should be connected.

The unfortunate truth is that VM would simply like to eliminate telephone extension sockets from any future vision of what the home landline will look like for customers. In all likelihood the driving factor will be cost. Hence you can get some responses from VM on here that the only option is to move the VM hub to relocate the 21CV phone socket which, of course, is untrue.

Firstly moving the hub/phone is unlikely to be acceptable to many people who want to keep phones and hub in their existing locations. Therefore, many people will decline this and VM is off the hook for any outlay for such work but at least VM can claim they offered a 'solution'.

Secondly, moving the VM hub to a new location is likely to change the wireless coverage in the home with the hub in a new position so the act of moving the hub potentially 'fixes' a problem with the phone socket location only to potentially create a new one with wireless coverage.

Finally, most people will have the hub located so that certain bits of equipment can be plugged in via ethernet cable (such as PCs, printers etc.). Again, moving the hub to fix an issue of how to plug in a phone then creates a new problem of how to connect networked equipment that was previously wired into the hub.

As you have also pointed out, relocating the hub involves changing the thick coaxial cable within the home. This can only be clipped with large plastic cable clips. The cable is harder to bend/install and the clips/cable are very obtrusive. Changing the phone wiring, on the other hand, involves dealing with much thinner, flexible phone wire which can be clipped with much smaller cable clips and so is more easily hidden.

Sounds like you had one of the better technicians who was at least prepared to discuss options and, in fairness, if the technicians are only allocated a short amount of time for each job then they are not going to be able to do extensive amounts of work.

You at least seem to have worked out something that should work for you for future use.