cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Backup Line EBL/EBU Upgrade

mpmc
Superfast

Evening folks,

Had a letter about failed attempts to contact us regarding an upgrade for the EBU. Very thankful for the letter otherwise we'd had never known.

Although we do not (currently) have a phone connected to the hub, I like the peace of mind that it and the EBL give when needed. This letter has reminded me I should've gotten a corded phone connected a bit ago too. 

It says we need an engineer visit, however this isn't needed as we're more than able to connect the unit ourselves. Would it be possible to have the new unit & a return bag sent out for the old one?

Thanks.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).
7 REPLIES 7

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
All EBUL issues can only be resolved by an engineer visit.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Evening @mpmc, thanks for your post.

I'd be happy to assist you with the booking of an engineer

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Just an update.

Spoke to Engineer on phone, explained that I knew how to set the EBU up (I'm that lame I've read the Burnside manual online a bit ago), asked if he could just drop it off and we'd set it up ourselves, which he was more than happy to do. It saved him a job and all you have to do is insert the SIM (he'd pre-done that anyway), swap the phone wires to the hub & phone, press a button, and it's up and running.

The "upgrade" is just a change of SIM/switchover to the VM/O2 network from Vodafone, and I'm guessing this "new" unit (it's the same shell) has the module changed/updated to work on the O2 network.

---

I can understand that not everyone gets how these things work/able to set them up, and in those cases yes sending someone out is warranted, but it isn't always needed. The time the Engineer wasted coming here could've been better spent fixing someone's service issues out. A Quick-start pack like the hubs/tv boxes maybe a solution in the future?

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

I think Virgin Media has a gremlin in their systems as I've just got ANOTHER e-mail...

Spoiler
Hello Hot Stuff,

We’ve tried to get in touch a couple of times about your Emergency Backup Line, which we gave you when we installed your home phone service. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to reach you to arrange an appointment.

An Emergency Backup Line lets you call 999 – even during a power cut or network outage. To keep it working smoothly, we need to replace the unit that powers it with an updated one.

It’s important that you get an updated Emergency Backup line unit before 31st of March 2022, otherwise it’ll stop working.

All you need to do is book an appointment and we’ll sort it for you. It won’t cost you a thing, and our technician will only need to be with you for a short while.

Give us a ring on 0345 454 1111 and we’ll arrange an appointment to get your unit updated.

If you don’t replace your unit before 31st of March 2022, it won’t work – but you can always get in touch if you want an up-to-date unit. If you no longer want an Emergency Back Up Line, please let us know so we can update our records. In this case, keep a fully charged mobile phone to hand so, if there’s a power cut or network outage, you can call 999 if you need.

Speak soon,

The Virgin Media team

It's been swapped already, If anyone from VM can look into why we're getting this again that would be great. Thanks.

Hi mpmc,

Sorry you've had another email, can you confirm the date this was sent?

Alex_Rm

Alex_RM

Created on: 

21 March 2022 at 17:20 (Delivered after 9 seconds)

Thanks for that mpmc,

I need a few more details from you regarding this so I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm