cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elderly mother's phone disconnected due to changeover. No hub

emeraldjules197
Joining in

Hi. My elderly mother's phone was disconnected yesterday. I spoke to someone at Virgin who explained that her landline was being migrated to fibre optic. She had no clue this was about to happen. She does not have broadband, so, therefore, no hub to plug into. She has no other means of communication, no mobile etc. Additionally, her piper alarm is also out of action.

I would not have even known this was happening if I hadn't already arranged to see her today.

As far as she knows, she has not received any equipment for this upgrade. She doesn't understand any of this stuff anyway. So now she has no way of contacting someone or being contacted herself. The guy on the phone, who was very pleasant, has said that it should be sorted this week. Frankly this is not good enough. What if she needs to speak to someone in an emergency? I am appalled that this has been allowed to happen. I wonder how many other elderly, vulnerable people are in this same situation.

I am at a loss with what to do about this. It's not like anyone can contact her to help her out. Shocking!!!

3 REPLIES 3

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @emeraldjules197,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear about your mother's phone. We can understand your concern and we want to best help. 

You may find the following link useful in explaining the landline switch over https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone-Switchover/gh-p/Switchover. Just to confirm is landline the only service your mother has with us? Also, has she had any correspondence from our team via leet or email regarding the switchover? Are you also able to confirm if our agent was referring to a remote fix or a technician appointment?

Please get back to us so we can best help with this.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, thank you for responding.

She has landline and TV, no broadband or hub.

She does not recall seeing a letter about this. Her memory isn't great these days.

The guy I spoke to didn't give me any indication of what will happen next, other than saying it will be sorted this week. The problem is, she is uncontactable now.

Many thanks

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will send you over a private message so that I can look into this asap for you. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.