cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Docsis Emergency Backup line

Snowy43
Joining in

My father in law has been given an emergency backup line after being converted over from a normal phone line to a Docsis line. He has an emergency lifeline button in case of falls which does not work on the backup line, he gets recorded message stating this line only allows emergency calls.

Surely his lifeline button number should be classed as an emergency number ?

How do i get this resolved ?

Mike

26 REPLIES 26

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Snowy43 wrote:

A Virgin engineer arrived this morning and connected the main phone line, the emergency backup line and the emergency button together.

We tested the main phone line and the emergency button together they worked fine.

We failed the main line, then tested the emergency button to the backup line, it failed with the voice message the line would only accept emergency calls.

If I top up the SIM card installed in the emergency back up line with credit will it accept dialled numbers as well as emergency numbers ?

Snowy43  

The SIM is just there to identify the user to emergency services. The SIM simply defaults to the strongest network. It won't just lock to Vodafone (VM network partner), it will lock to the strongest mobile signal, as there are no cross network restrictions on making 999 or 112 emergency calls.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Sophie

I'm not asking you to add credit to the SIM card, if I added credit to the SIM card would it allow dialled numbers plus emergency numbers to be routed over the back up line.

Snowy43

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that credit cannot be add to the SIM card in the Backup Unit.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Snowy43,

As @DJ-Shadow1966 has advised, credit can not be added to the SIM to allow this. 

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have the very same issue with the care line equipment. Today I had a visit from a virginmedia tech and he took out my old EBUL  and installed a new bit of kit called the Motorola FW500 Emergency Back Up Line Telephone. This is a normal landline phone but has a back up SIM card for emergency services. I was also told that the SIM card inside can have the credit topped up to make other calls too.

it’s not ideal but I suppose it’s a step forward…

Hi @Sparky3366,

We recognise that some people will have some concerns but this is something that is happening with all providers and not just Virgin Media. If you’re using any connected devices (including care alarms) that use your phone line, you’ll need to check with the manufacturer to make sure they’re compatible with our fibre network phone line. We’ve been working with alarm and telecare providers to make sure they know about our switch to a fibre phone line. 
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Trust me, I’m fully aware of what’s happening with the voip changeover and have been for over 2 years! Everyone is passing the buck to others when it comes to telecare/Caroline etc., but this is a national issue that should’ve been planned for. Not everyone can use a mobile and the pendants are quite literally a lifeline.

do people have to die before someone sits up and takes notice??

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Sparky3366

Thanks for your post and for raising your concerns. I am so sorry to hear that you feel the switchover has not been planned for properly, I apologise for any frustration this has caused. Would you like me to raise a complaint for you regarding the matter?

Best wishes,

Serena

What is the point of raising a complaint? There still isn’t a way of linking the telecare unit to the EBUL, telecare want £5 a week for the gsm unit to add onto the original unit. I for one can’t afford to buy shopping most weeks so there’s no way I could afford to pay for the gsm unit! People are going to die through this. 5 weeks ago I pressed my button only for it not to work. If my daughter hadn’t called purely by chance, I WOULD BE DEAD! This is very real, and very urgent! This should’ve been sorted before the switchover to docsis.

Thanks for coming back to us @Sparky3366

I have submitted a request to see if it is possible to reconnect your old telephone line to the wall socket because of this issue, we will be in touch as soon as we have any updates for you on this.

Regards,

Steven_L