cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do landline phones now really have to connect to the router?

CMurray1
Joining in

A friend of mine, a pensioner who is also on Virgin, has a faulty TV box, and has been told that when she gets a new one, she'll have to plug her landline phone into the router instead of the wall socket. Is this true, and why?

She doesn't want wires trailing down the stairs, and so wants to continue using the phone's wall socket. Is this possible, please?

10 REPLIES 10

kizi
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

that is correct we have a new system call 21cv (voip) the land line have to connect to the hub with a adapter 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

That is only true for new installations. Where only a TV box is being replaced then the existing phone service continues using the wall socket. But in due course and certainly by 2025 all phone lines will run through the VM Hub as described. Also true for BT and other providers. They are all moving in due course to this new system. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I see. Thanks for the replies.

Hi

I think I have a similar problem. Just moved to a new house and tried to plug our landline into the wall socket and the phone is displaying check phone line. Called up virgin and they've said I need to connect it to the back of the router with my Ethernet cable but it doesn't fit. What adaptor do I need?

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Phone VM and ask them to send you one. You should have had one in your quick start pack or been given one by the installation tech.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

The lady I spoke to at VM told me to get an adaptor from a telephone shop if the Ethernet cable didn't fit. This is the first I was aware of needing one.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

Look, you've come here for advice and advice I gave you. VM provide these adaptors. Your telephone cable will fit into the adaptor and the other end does into the TEL1 socket at the back of your Hub. You can get one from Amazon from about £3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ45-PABX-Secondary-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0021JNY38

but why should you? Try again.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Laureng wrote:

Hi

I think I have a similar problem. Just moved to a new house and tried to plug our landline into the wall socket and the phone is displaying check phone line. Called up virgin and they've said I need to connect it to the back of the router with my Ethernet cable but it doesn't fit. What adaptor do I need?

The VM forum team regularly arrange these adapters to be dropped off to customers via a passing VM technician if you can wait for a forum team member to pick up on here (may be a week or so if you can wait that long and assuming they do pick this up as you have joined onto the end of an old topic). Or ring VM back and request one to be sent out as has already been suggested by @HowardML. VM should have provided you with one as part of the kit.

If you want to get one yourself, the link above is not quite the right thing as it has a RJ45 connector on it not RJ11. You need a RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter. The RJ11 plug goes into the TEL1 socket on the VM hub. You plug your normal landline phone into the BT socket on the other end of the adapter. Buy from your preferred online supplier. Cost should be no more than a few pounds. Looks like the LHS picture below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/diagnostics/home-phone-not-working/phone-connected-hub

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Sorry about the wrong link. I picked it up from another post which was obviously wrong too.