cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital phone line upgrade

spotty22
Tuning in

I've recently been upgraded to the Virgin CV21 digital phone line which now means I have to have my existing analogue handset base plugged into my router in my lounge. I don't currently want my landline phone in my lounge, is there an alternative I could use enabling me to have a phone not plugged into the Virgin router? I still want a landline and I've been looking for a home phone that works off wifi, but am yet to find one? BT have digital voice for their system, but this doesn't work with unless you have a BT digital voice line. Any advice greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @spotty22,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the position of your current landline service. We are currently migrating all landline services to 21cv. For this reason, this is the one landline service we provide https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover. Alternatively, if we have not yet done the migration in your area, it would be analogue. If you are looking to change the position of your landline device with 21 CV, we can book an appointment for you however this may incur a call-out fee. Please let us know if you are happy to proceed in this way and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your reply, but before I book any appointments I’d like to know what options you have and the associated costings for each please?

You may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/price-guides 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

That still doesn't give me any idea of what you can do about relocating my landline to another room. At present I have to plug in my current land line to the virgin router in my lounge. The router has a very short cable and cannot be moved. I don't want to relocate the router as this would involve a lot of cable running from one room to another. I know you can have a secondary virgin connection at another location in the house, would this be an option for connecting a land line to also?

Thank you for your response @spotty22.

With 21cv, you can only have one handset that is plugged into the hub device. We are unable to add additional devices to the network physically. What you would have to do is get a master phone ( Which connects to the hub) and additional phones which connect wirelessly to the master phone. With these additional phones, you can place them anywhere in your home. 

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Yes that does makes total sense, but I don't want to have a land line hub that rings in my lounge? This is the set up that I currently have, but I don't want the base which the other phones connect to in my lounge as this rings when a call comes through. Ideally, I'd like a land line phone that connects via wifi rather than plugging into the hub. Can you recommend a phone or what I need to search for to find one please?

Unfortunately, plugging into the hub is the only option available in regard to your landline. This a common system that is currently taking place with other Broadband service providers like ourselves. If you wish to change the location of the hub, we can book an appointment for this. We are also unable to recommend specific device handsets however the master and additional phone systems can be found very easily in the market.

Please do let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

I have a base phone with 4 remote hand sets. If I move the base unit to the room where my hub is 3 out of the 4 phones are to far away to pick up a signal. I cannot relocate the the hub as it’s next to my desktop apple computer and because of the programmes on it has to be wired into the hub ( not WiFi) so what do I do. Have no phones, have no computer or do I have to move to another supplier 

Hi there @sdc26, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

If you have not yet been switchover what we can do is see if we can arrange an engineer to  put in an extension for you to help with this.

I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so I can check this for you.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules