cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Switchover

SueSal
Tuning in

Am I the only person struggling to contact Virgin regarding the switchover of our landline - in one part of our house - to digital where the hub is in another part of the house? Phoned 150 and the person at the other end didn't have a clue what I was talking about. They promised a technician visit date but I've heard nothing.

So - . Why don't Virgin give any information/guidance on what to do about the siting of the hub.

Any tips for resolving the issue of hub and phone being in separate locations. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Matthew_ML wrote:

Hey SueSal, thank you for reaching out with an upgrade.

I am sorry you needed to buy a VOIP compatible phone however we don't guarantee that all phones work with this unfortunately.

This means we wouldn't be able to offer any goodwill gestures for this sorry. Thanks 

I think you have not read the details of the topic Matthew_ML. The OP didn't have a problem with her phone which required a new one, the OP was told by a VM tech that he could not do any wiring changes free of charge and she would have to get new phones and/or pay for wiring mod's herself, thus requiring her to unnecessarily buy a new set of phones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@SueSal wrote:

<snip>

Any tips for resolving the issue of hub and phone being in separate locations. 

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SueSal

Welcome to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you have not been informed of your technician appointment to complete your home phone switchover install set up request. Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security to look into this and confirm the date for you. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

A technician has visited and reviewed problem of the phone being a distance from the hub. He suggested the longer phone cable option but said that, as it was about 4 meters, VM would not do this. It is too long for them to do it for free so we would have to find someone else, and pay for it!! We have reluctantly decided to resite the main phone and connect another extension. Thus incurring the cost of a new phone!! 

Hi @SueSal thanks for your post, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised here regarding the switchover.

We do support with the switchover porcess and we should not be charging for assistance with this, I'm really sorry you were advised otherwise.

How much did you pay for the new phone please to support the new fibre network?

Many thanks

Tom_W

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@SueSal wrote:

A technician has visited and reviewed problem of the phone being a distance from the hub. He suggested the longer phone cable option but said that, as it was about 4 meters, VM would not do this. It is too long for them to do it for free so we would have to find someone else, and pay for it!! We have reluctantly decided to resite the main phone and connect another extension. Thus incurring the cost of a new phone!! 

Sounds like the technician didn't want to do any work that day!

If you have not already had the work done, VM should come back and make the modifications you need free of charge.

If you have already paid for the work/phone, IMO VM should be crediting you for the cost plus a goodwill payment for the inconvenience of being told something that was not correct by the technician.

Hi,

Our new phone is already winging its way from Amazon. 

Order Total:

£99.33

It is more expensive than our last model as it has 3 handsets rather than our previous 2-   one for upstairs, one for the original phone site in the hall and the base unit  in the study near the hub. A goodwill gesture towards this upgrade would be very acceptable as our "old" phone was usable although not as up to date regarding call barring and sync to mobile (which is essential here as the Virgin mobile signal is very poor) . Without the enforced Virgin upgrade we would not have replaced the phone at this point although might have considered an upgrade in the  future. 

I am sorry you needed to buy a VOIP compatible phone however we don't guarantee that all phones work with this unfortunately.

This means we wouldn't be able to offer any goodwill gestures for this sorry. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

@Matthew_ML wrote:

I think you have not read the details of the topic Matthew_ML. The OP didn't have a problem with her phone which required a new one, the OP was told by a VM tech that he could not do any wiring changes free of charge and she would have to get new phones and/or pay for wiring mod's herself, thus requiring her to unnecessarily buy a new set of phones.

Hey goslow, thank you for jumping on.

Unfortunately any jobs like this does require a one off charge of £25. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?