Menu
Highlighted
Tropics
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Daily phone scam

I am sick of receiving phone calls from 01806653895 

First two call are automated saying press one to stop my internet cancelling. The third one is an actual person who hangs up the minute you challenge them. This number is in the U.K. so surely Virgin can do something. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Daily phone scam

Hello Tropics

I am very sorry to hear this is happening, It is always correct to be vigilant with calls like this and any doubts that it is us, Just hang up and call on of our numbers from our website or 150 from your landline.

Unfortunately these spam / scam numbers do operate and we do work hard to prevent this, Ultimately you can sign up to the TPS online here www.tpsonline.org.uk

This does only prevent numbers based here in the UK, so please do continue to be alert to the potential of these calls.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Tropics wrote:

This number is in the U.K. so surely Virgin can do something. 

It's quite likely not to be in the UK.  It's very easy to spoof the calling number to be anything the caller wants it to be, so CLI shouldn't be trusted.

As for the advice to register with the TPS, that only sort-of-works for cold callers in the UK who obey the law.  The scammers using the "your broadband will be cancelled" line are criminals who have probably never heard of the TPS and wouldn't care if they have.

The only way I've found of stopping this sort of call is to install a system that plays the caller a short message "Your call is being connected ... please wait", then waits a couple of seconds before ringing the phone.  This is interpreted by the automatic dialling systems used by these people as an answering machine and they hang up before the phone rings.  Really works a treat - zero cold calls since it was installed.

brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You need a nuisance call handset this has work great for me cutting down daily nuisance calls to none.

0 Kudos