cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily missed calls from Virgin Media

ZeroIowa
Joining in

Hey,

So the situation is this, I've been receiving missed calls on a mobile from Virgin Media for months now after receiving a text saying they needed to talk to me about a phone line upgrade to fibre. I ignored it initially because when I asked online help if it was genuine, they said it didn't look like it was but it turned out it is Virgin Media and in the past few weeks the calls turned daily. I was never able to answer when they called.

Last week a message was left on my answer phone saying they needed to talk to me and to call back so I did, spoke to three different customer service reps and eventually explained that we don't use the phone line (it was included only as part of a cheaper package deal), asked about the fibre upgrade and was told we didn't have to do anything and that it was now sorted. But today I've received missed calls from Virgin Media again.

Are any of the mods able to find out why they are still calling? I don't want to call back again myself because obviously there is no "you asked me to call you" option, I got hung up on twice for no apparent reason and I spent an hour trying to get to someone who could help me last time. I'll be honest, I'm a hairs width from just blocking the damn number! XD

So yes, any help would be appreciated.

- Susan

17 REPLIES 17

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Zerolowa,

Sorry to hear of the continued contact you're receiving in regards to your landline and an upgrade. We can understand the concern this can cause and appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

We've tried to locate your account using your forum details but have been unable to, we're happy to look into this further for you but would need some more details from you. Alternatively, rather than calling you can use any of the contact methods here or you can text the team your query for free on 07533 051 809  between 7am and 11pm Monday to Friday, 8am and 8pm Saturday to Sunday and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Rob

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ZeroIowa wrote:

Hey,

So the situation is this, I've been receiving missed calls on a mobile from Virgin Media for months now after receiving a text saying they needed to talk to me about a phone line upgrade to fibre. <snip>

Are you aware of the migration programme for VM's phone lines away from conventional telephone wall sockets and over to a phone connection from the socket on the back of the hub? Sounds like the calls may be to do with this, if genuine.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone/switchover

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone-Switchover/gh-p/Switchover

Even if you do not make use of the landline, you should consider going through with the process and making sure you still have a working line via the phone connection on the back of the hub.

The subject of 'phantom call' charges (where customers are billed for calls they never made) crops up regularly on the forums.

In about half of such cases, the customer pays for a line which they never use or check in any way and has no idea if the line is working or not and what it is being used for. IMO, if you are paying for the line (even if you don't use it) you should still keep tabs on it and occasionally check whether it is working correctly or not.

Thanks, no I hadn't heard about that but we don't have a hub as our package is only Phone and TV.

(unless you mean the TV box, I'm thinking "hub" more as in broadband hub?)

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ZeroIowa wrote:

Thanks, no I hadn't heard about that but we don't have a hub as our package is only Phone and TV.

That is likely to be why VM want to speak to you then as you won't be able to use the phone without a hub after the phone service is migrated.

Read through the links above carefully. There have been a few recent topics on the forums of existing phone/TV customers being upsold packages, at greater cost, to include broadband as part of the switchover process which should not happen according to the published info linked above.

I don’t have Virgin Media broadband so why do I need a Hub?
Our new phone service uses our fibre broadband network, so you’ll need to be connected to the Hub to make and receive calls. Don’t worry, you’ll get this at no extra cost. So you know, you won’t be able to use our broadband service through the new Hub unless you've got one of our broadband packs.

I don't know too much about VM's TV services but, from other past topics, I believe that the newer VM TV devices do require broadband to function. Someone who knows about VM TV can fill in the blanks there for you, hopefully.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

I've spoken to the account holder (I'm posting on their behalf and my mobile is listed as contact) and, assuming this is what they're calling about, she's pretty adamant about not having another hub put in since we don't use the phone. So I guess that's a phone call with VM for me to look forward to! XD 

Thanks for coming back to us @ZeroIowa.

I can look into this further for you, if you'd like me to do so.

We would need to send over a private message to you, so that we can investigate this further for you.

Please look out for my private message and we can look into your account.

Regards,

Steven_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ZeroIowa wrote:

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

I've spoken to the account holder (I'm posting on their behalf and my mobile is listed as contact) and, assuming this is what they're calling about, she's pretty adamant about not having another hub put in since we don't use the phone. So I guess that's a phone call with VM for me to look forward to! XD 

@Steven_L should be able to help you further. It is not a straightforward query really that this phone change has thrown up.

I would suggest that paying for a phone service on your package which you don't use (or may not have access to after the switchover) may leave you (that is, the account holder) somewhat vulnerable.

There are regular topics on the forums of customers receiving charges for 'phantom calls' (where they are billed for calls they have not made). In about half these cases the customer has never used the line and/or had a phone plugged in. Not being able to keep tabs on the phone line you are paying for, and occasionally check it is working correctly, does leave things open to potential problems IMHO.

If the customer only uses TV, then it would be worth double checking into what is available as an alternative to VM and what channels the customer actually watches. AFAIK, VM don't do just a TV/phone package any more so any future renewal of the contract would probably either mean having to take on broadband or just keeping paying VM's ever-increasing price hikes each time they come around.

Hope you can get it resolved satisfactorily.

Funnily enough the contract was renewed on Friday just gone when I phoned up to ask about the missed calls. I initially was asking to have the phone removed from our package for the very reason that we don't use it but was again told it would be more expensive to not have the deal with the phone so we kept it. Again it was just for our TV service and the phone line and no mention was made of broadband.