cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit reduced by V.M. so landline & internet cut off

lin48
Joining in

We have recently not been able to access the internet or use our landline for outgoing calls.  We assumed it was a technical fault but have been told by V.M. that it is because we have exceeded our £50 credit limit which they reduced from £150 without telling us!  We pay by direct debit so there bill gets paid in full whatever!!  We have only been re-connected by paying the amount accrued this month in advance of the direct debit bill.   With a credit limit of £50 this will happen each month. Is this ethical / legal?

8 REPLIES 8

lin48
Joining in

We have recently been unable to access the internet or dial out on our landline and it appears to be because V.M. have reduced our credit limit from £150 to £50 and cut us off !!   This is despite the fact that we pay by direct debit so whatever our bill they are paid in full.  We were not given any warning of this and not to be able to use the landline is seriously concerning.  We are only up and running again because my husband had to pay by credit card in advance of the direct debit payment.  Has anyone else had this problem?  We could have this problem each month. Seriously considering going elsewhere.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lin48 wrote:

We have recently been unable to access the internet or dial out on our landline and it appears to be because V.M. have reduced our credit limit from £150 to £50 and cut us off !!

What makes you think this is because of a credit limit change?

You've posted in the "chatter & natter" section of the board which isn't generally monitored by VM staff.

What, specifically, is happening with your internet service? And your landline service? I'd recommend starting posts in the relevant sections of the board - broadband issues here and landline issues here and you will probably get some useful help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Because this is what we were told by V.M. when we contacted them. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @lin48,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you were unable to access your services due to your credit limit being reduced. 

Credit limits only take into account usage on your account. For more info on how this works see here

I have checked our systems and can see you have spoken to our team regarding this already today but do let me know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I am sorry but this makes no sense to me whatsoever.  We pay by direct debit so whatever the size of the bill it is paid in full!  And why was our credit limit reduced from £150 to £50 without us being told and why were our services cut off without prior warning. This really is not good enough customer service and we shall be looking into alternative companies.

Credit limits are reviewed frequently by the credit team and can go up or down depending on your payment history, package and payment method. I am sorry that you were not made aware of any changes. 

I have checked our system and can see our team have put a request in for you to increase the limit. 

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lin48 

I have moved your post to another area of the forum where you are more likely to get some constructive advice.

If a Credit Limit Reduction is indeed the cause of the problem, you should take a look here to see what Virgin Media themselves say on the subject: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-credit-limits 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi lin48, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your credit limit. 

I can see that my colleague has already replied to your thread here: Credit limit reduced by V.M. so landline & internet cut off

Please make sure you are only posting once about your issue. If you need to update the thread then just reply to your original thread rather than creating a new one. We understand it's frustrating when something's not right however posting more than once about the same fault makes the boards look busier than what they actually are. It also means we could take longer to reply due to needing to sift through duplicate posts.

Have a look at Ayisha's reply on the other thread and stick with that one so we keep all the information in one place. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team