cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crackling 21cv phone line

MR-T
Up to speed

Hi Guy,

my old virgin phone went open circuit  a few weeks ago, virgin came round and switch me to the 21cv service.

After a couple of days i am getting intermittent crackling on inbound calls, everyone says no crackling heard at the other end.

Spent 1 hour talking to line 2 offshore last week, phone seem ok for a few days, and has now started crackling again.

Rang virgin this morning, had a nightmare trying to get threw, the system would not recognise my phone sub tones, even though i could here them, the system isn't picking them up.

Anyway spoke to another chap offshore, not sure what he done, but hes told me to reboot my router every 2 to 3 days for the next two weeks, is this really how we fix a faulty landline.

If i'm on a faulty circuit can someone not disconnect me and move to one that works?

Rebooting every time the fault appears is not a fix, that just a work around.

Never had an issue with the old twisted pair, i know we have to move on technology wise, but please get it working before putting us on it.

kind Regards

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, 

mpmc & Tom_W1,

Thanks for all you comments of thing to try, i've already tried all the things suggested

I have two Dect phones, my usual phone is a philip dect phone, they are a few years old but i've had no problems prier to the switch over to 21CV.

I also have two hard wired phones, one is fairly new, i also bought a brand new dect phone, a gigaset hello, and i've had crackling on that plugged directly into the Hub4.

I am not seeing any problems with the connection, they are all nice and tight, i did wonder if it could be to much connected to the new line, i have two sky+ receivers connected to the phone lines for many years, i have disconnected both now to see if that makes any difference.

So far this last week i've not noticed any crackling on incoming calls, strange its always incoming side, no crackling on outbound audio.

I was sort of expecting a higher quality calls from the new system, but have say it doesn't  sound any better when it is working properly, but that could be because i am very close to the exchange, less than half a mile.

Anyway guys thanks for you help, i am not sure if i am supposed to keep my sky boxes connected to the phone line anymore, it use to be the case if you had two, then they had to be on the phone line to call back, i guess they could ad extra load to the line.

Kind,

Regards,

MR-T.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @MR-T,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your landline at the moment, I'm sorry that you have been advised to do that to resolve your issues, thats clearly not the best way and I'm not sure, why you have been given that as a resolution to your issues.

I would be happy to take a further look into this for you and it looks like we would need to book a technician visit. I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Great stuff @MR-T, thats booked in for you now, the technician should give you a quick ring on the mobile registered on your account, when they're on their way to you.

Please do let us know how the visit goes, if you get chance to do so.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L

I will let you know how we get on, many thanks.

Regards,

Alan.

HI Steven_L

Had an engineer visit this morning, of course sods law home phone was working ok today, probably due to the reboot of the Hub4 yesterday.

He has changed the small adapter on the back.

I was hoping that they could disconnect me from the system, and reconnect me to different part of the network, i'm sure that can be done, but he wasn't able to do it.

I don't know if anyone on here can tell me if that can be done or not, failing that if it plays up again, and i'm sure it will,

I will be requesting my old line be reinstated until such time that they iron out the bugs on this system, their is a spare pair available.

Its just not fit for purpose as it is, rebooting every couple of days is not my idea of a fix.

I rely on my home phone, i will keep you posted Steven_L

Many thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

MR-T.

Hi MR-T,

Thanks for posting. We'd not be able to reverse the migration I'm afraid as this is a government mandate that we are completing as the old connections are becoming obsolete. 

Please do pop back if you need further assistance.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS

Thanks for the reply, yes i no its got to change but you have until 2025 to make the changes, their was no need to change my phone over yet.

And it not even Voip system.

I didn't see anything in you post that was any help, (ie) if its still playing up in a couple of days time can you not disconnect me from the system, and reconnect me to another part of the phone network in case im on a faulty part of the network.

I've had a cable phone now for well over 20 years, I think it was with windsor cable i started with, but this is by far the worst service i've had.

Hopefully somebody knows how to fix it.

Kind Regards.

MR-T.

I am sorry to hear of any service issues, we wouldn't be able to change you to a different part of the network, however do keep monitoring the services and if any issues do let us know. We'll be more than happy to assist.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS,

I would have thought it should be a simple matter to switch to another part of the network, after all it is digital, and only took two minutes to connect me up. 

Surely if you have a faulty phone segment you just move the customer to another connection.

I will come back in a few days time if it starts crackling again on incoming calls, many thanks.

Kind Regards

MR-T.

Hi John_GS

still getting occasional crackling calls from time to time, virgin seem to be incapable of figuring out whats causing it.

It maybe the case that its not Virgin that the problem, and maybe the case that it is the other network that is producing the crackling  incoming calls, although it had occurred when ringing virgin, so it seems likely to me that its virgins problem to fix.

The other thing is prier to virgin not fixing my line, but instead moving me to 21CV service,i never had this problem before on the old standard landline.

Anyway close the post as not fixed, my contract is coming up for renewal in November, if it persists ill move my number to BT.

Kind

Regards

MR-T