cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converted to digital line, emergency backup kit failed

pogit1
Up to speed

After a landline fault my home phone line was converted to a digital line (against my wishes) at 1am this morning I was woken to my life line saying phone line disconnected, the installed mobile back up clearly isn’t working as it should! 

anyone else experienced this?

there is no option in the faults reporting process to declare that you have both a broadband connected phone line and an emergency backup unit that has failed.

Prettypointless emergency kit if it fails!  Please escalate this as a matter of urgency!

140 REPLIES 140

Thanks for that is there a reason these faults aren’t showing online so that we can register for text or email updates?  

Do we know how many customers are affected by this fault, what it is specifically if it’s the on going issue that has apparently being going on for many months in other words will it be fixed or just rebooted / temporarily patched so will likely reoccur in days again? 

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.

Sadly there is no information regarding the fault at the moment, it doesn't look like we're able to pin- point the problem and are still investigating.

Alex_Rm

3 weeks now since conversion,  not worked for more than 24 hrs consistently.

Don’t go digital folks hang on to your traditional phone lines for as long as you possibly can. 

Well after 4weeks the digital line seems to have been working consistently for 48 hrs after no word from VM about services, billing or packages after multiple requests.  I would of though the DD cancellation would of triggered something but it appears not to have.

I have no idea if my services are being cancelled tomorrow (as originally requested 29 days ago) I have no idea of charges / credits due for my package which imho wasn’t delivered.

What has happened to VM they used to be a good company, I know the customer service has dropped drastically in the last 20 years but this is just ridiculous.  29 days ago I was offered my package for £35 if I signed up for another 18 months obviously that wasn’t an option with no phoneline.  I’ve spent the best pet of a day at least on the phone and waited in for 4 physical visits (would of been more if I hadn’t cancelled) and waited for multiple phone calls none of which have happened. 

4 weeks ago I was moaning about city fibre digging up the local roads but now quite frankly I’m pleased I have alternative options for high speed bb. 

I'm sorry to hear of the experience you've had pogit1,

I'm glad to hear your line is now working, so I can take a closer look at things for you I'll need a few more details.

I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

LenOLondon
On our wavelength

Today I had my "back up kit" installed, and supplied is a very smart landline phone that switches over to either Virgin Mobile or 02 if the power fails or the broadband goes down. With this in mind, Virgin Media knows when there is a broadband crash or power failure, so why don't they programme the network to automatically divert calls intended to go to  the landline, yes diverted to the number in the emergency phone they install.

This is something that can be done by anyone in the telecoms business ...... so why not Virgin Media?

If anyone wants to use Virgin Media for business lines, then this has to be done.

The technology is already installed, such as call diversion.  Any customer could have a their normal mobile number a a place to receive calls during a breakdown

Hi LenOLondon

Thanks for coming back to us and providing the feedback, it's a good suggestion so I shall pass this on to the relevent team. Do pop us a post if there is anything further we can assist with.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

The biggest trouble with virgin is they “inherited” multiple cable region and some areas have/had access to different features in different ways, now with the partnership or what ever it is with o2 it seems to be worse not better as we all know it should be,  as you say the technology has been in place since before Virgin Media was a thing and now we’re on on VOIP it’s even easier.  Weird I asked about the home phone but was told it wasn’t available to me as I chose to migrate which I most definitely didn’t it was forced on me because of fault cables that weren’t being replaced and weren’t fit for purpose when they were installed even if they weren’t well past their re pull dates. 

Touch wood I’ve only had a few issue since the major problems but there shouldn’t be any at all that supposed what the EBUL is for.  But I won’t start on that again as I’ve only just got the chip off my shoulder 😉 welll sort of 🙂 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey, pogit1.

Thanks for your post.
Glad to hear your landline has no issues now and it's all been sorted. 

Please, be advised as we are migrating the lines to work through fibre-optics and the copper cables have been removed from the area, a normal phone line would fail to work.
Please, visit this page here to read all the information in regard to this change.

Let us know if there is anything else you may need from us, happy to help you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I think I may have spoke to soon, I’m not sure if it’s the digital land line or the EBUL but if I’m starting to regularly receive calls where I cannot hear the caller and they cannot here me.  

the only way to fix this is for me to make an out going call, then incoming calls are back to normal.

Sadly this is happening regularly, not related to actual phones it must be the EBUL or the hub/phoneline has anyone else reported this issue?