cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converted to digital line, emergency backup kit failed

pogit1
Up to speed

After a landline fault my home phone line was converted to a digital line (against my wishes) at 1am this morning I was woken to my life line saying phone line disconnected, the installed mobile back up clearly isn’t working as it should! 

anyone else experienced this?

there is no option in the faults reporting process to declare that you have both a broadband connected phone line and an emergency backup unit that has failed.

Prettypointless emergency kit if it fails!  Please escalate this as a matter of urgency!

140 REPLIES 140

Well digital landline seems to be back up and running again, can say I’m confident it will last.  I’m keeping the EBUL disconnected from the hub for the time being so I can easily check both are working individually.  No one from virgin media has contacted me to check the status apologise and redress issue. I don’t want o call 150 because I believe more than half of my issues have been caused by poor CS advisers who just had no idea of the situation let alone the equipment they were making changes to.  I’ve been told my cancellation request is both active and cancelled (not by me) and that my account can be changed or reimbursed currently.  I can only hope my name is on someone’s call back sheet somewhere.

because as far as I know all my services are due to stop on 1st April. 

Hi pogit1,

We're glad to hear the landline is now working. 

We you advised you would be receiving a call back from the team regarding this? 

With regards to your cancellation request, if you would like I can private message you and confirm some data protection to check this. But if it has been cancelled you would need to call into the Retention's team via 150/0345 454 1111 for one to processed. 

^Martin

Great lines down AGAIN!  This time a flashing red light on the hub3.   Calls IN rings but doesn’t connect. Calls OUT dial tone is present but get a hang up tone on dialling a number. 

Any suggestions? 

Hi pogit1,

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your landline once again, we can certainly understand the disruption and inconvenience this is causing you. 

You stated that your line calls in but doesn't connect. Can you elaborate on this? Can you hear the line ring but its silent on the other end?

You also stated that you have a dial tone but when calling out it's like the line has been cut off. Is this on all numbers called or a certain few?

We have checked the systems remotely from our end and cannot see any issues currently reported.

Have you tried rebooting the hub since the issue occurred?

Kind regards Jodi. 

If I use call the landline from a mobile the landline line phone rings and I can here it!  The call doesn’t connect though. 

if I try to call from the landline there is a dial tone (which means the EBUL doesn’t kick in, yet another flaw in the emergency phoneline) as soon as I finished sailing for example a mobile number the line goes solid tone like someone’s hung up. Same for 150 so I assume every other number. 

to get the EBUL TO work I have to unplug it from the hub, so limited service is available but for someone with low technical and or physical abilities the EBUL is rendered useless! 

There is a red flashing phone symbol on the hub.  150 sees no problems with the hub and has booked yet another engineer call-out for Saturday.  

I cannot log into the hub as it says someone else is logged in (a regular problem) 

Really loosing the will to live with VM over this digital line.  

C763C9B9-5A7D-4CD4-BAC2-7C309CED135A.jpeg

* to clarify I can hear the actual home phone ringing not just on the mobile end,  it rings about three times even if the mobile call is ended after one ring. 

Powering the hub off for 1 minute has now killed the digital line. No dial tone, on calling the landline from another phone the “this number is temporarily not available” message is heard.  So god knows what’s happened, but I’m back to square one again.  

Many thanks for clarifying what the issues are pogit1.

In the circumstances I think we need to get an engineer to you sooner. I have filled out a request asking for an emergency appointment, you will be called by a team member tomorrow to see if we can get this issue addressed earlier.

Once again, we are sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Further update installer came.

called line manager (T)  re cvs fault.  Who was annoyed as it shouldn’t of gone to a call out, he then called the network manager (C) who now has it on her list.

The hub is now in DOCSIS2 there is a known fault in Lincoln where there are two servers 13 & 15 (iirc) server 13 is known to have DOCSIS activation issues.

So in summary customers installers, network and line managers are all getting annoyed and time wasted and grief because it’s either not being flagged up on the system as a known fault and 150 are just sending people out.

The main new point that needs addressing here is the EBUL was rendered useless by the flashing red light on the hub. As the hub had a dial tone the EBUL didn’t know there was a fault so didn’t take over the calls.  

I’m not convinced it’s not the EBUL linked/causing the issues because when I have that as a stand alone unit with it’s own phone everything works when it’s connected to the hub 24/48 hours issues happen (obviously could be just coincidence) 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response pogit1,

Welcome back to the community!

So sorry for all the issues caused, just to clarify, do you have an EBUL with ourselves?

Also has the issue been escalated as part of a resolution.

Thanks,

Kain