cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

@Client62 wrote:

One would not expect 1471 to have any clue about Direct IP calls.

The phone doesn’t even ring though. 

I’ve tried turning off the call garden off and it still logs the missed calls but the phone doesn’t ring. 

Perhaps as well, SPIT calls are seldom welcome.

Paulina I Have been in constant contact since October, had 4 engineers, stated a complaint and still had no joy. Except we are trying very hard. Really?????

The bottom line is that the Uk wants to replace PSTN and companies, like VM were “encouraged” to switch to IP telephony. Most commercial organisations have managed this. VM rolled-out the technology knowing it was flawed. They have tried to blame customers, phone suppliers, partners, and the government. Currently they think their partners have a solution - but it doesn’t work with all the hubs. Further testing - which should have been done during development - is currently on-going with no delivery as yet anticipated.

We are so sorry that you are effected by this issue @#Woodbutcher1234

We understand this is frustrating but we are doing all we can to get this issue resolved for you and everyone effected. We have an ticket raised for this and our teams are aware and working towards a resolution. 

We will let you know once this is solved. 

To preventing Direct IP (SPIT) calls set the VOIP devices i.e. the Hubs in VMs case to :-

1) Disable Direct IP Calls
2) Accept Incoming SIP from Proxy Only (e.g. sip.virginmedia.co.uk)

lenworth
On our wavelength

I have my hub in modem mode and cannot see a way to access this setting. 

Hi @lenworth thanks for your reply.

Can you try to put your Hub in Router Mode to see if these settings become available for you?

Many thanks

Tom_W

The Hubs(3/4/5) have zero VOIP settings exposed in either Router or Modem mode.

This needs to be done as a Hub(3/4/5) firmware fix by VM software teams.

Surely VM haven't allowed their 21CV firmware out without blocking direct IP calling and SIP calls that aren't from the primary SIP server?  That would go beyond incompetent and be firmly in the reckless stupidity zone (or the completely clueless amateur zone).  If this is the case, makes you wonder what other glaring security holes there are in the firmware and in VM's 21CV authentication - as VM don't use fixed IPs they won't be able to restrict outbound calls to those from the customer's IP? 

And I'll back that up, that as a completely clueless amateur, I setup my Grandstream ATA the other week without those settings for an A&A VOIP connection.  After a few days of numberless calls, I did the necessary digging and changed the config file, and now everything plays nicely.