cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

I am sorry @superloopy.  At this time, we would reiterate the advice offered by our mods, here.

Regards

Lee_R

Should read BT8500 Trio digital cordless

Item code 078628

add this to your database...

superloopy
On our wavelength

-So ... its all down tothe HUB5 then as thats the only change since you upgraded me, only 10 days ago.

Had no problems of any sort with the SH3 running my 250mb service.

Maybe i should regress to a 500mb service within my cooling off period and revert back to SH3 for an easier life?

@superloopy wrote:

-So ... its all down tothe HUB5 then as thats the only change since you upgraded me, only 10 days ago.

Had no problems of any sort with the SH3 running my 250mb service.

Maybe i should regress to a 500mb service within my cooling off period and revert back to SH3 for an easier life?

Actually this had made me think, as this seems to only be an issue with the Hub 5, would not the obvious short term but immediate fix be to offer anyone effected by this a free swop to a Hub 4? If you look at some other posts on here, there does seem to be a number of customers wanting a Hub5 and being frustrated by stock issues, so presumably as long as it was properly organised and explained that, ‘there are known issues with the Hub5 and telephony with some handsets’, but if you aren’t a landline customer then it should be fine (notwithstanding the other issues that have been reported on these forums with the 5, although these are unsubstantiated), it’ll kill two birds with one stone, no?

On the other hand, it would require VM to formally admit a systemic issue with the Hub 5, which, won’t look good, so don’t hold your breath!

It does strike me that if this was an issue which could be fixed with a firmware update, then it would have been done by now, after all how long has it been rumbling on; best part of a year? So, assuming that VM haven’t simply been ‘asleep at the wheel’ for the past year and have only just got around to bothering to acknowledging and addressing this issue, we could, reasonably conclude that it is a hardware problem with, possibly, just a subset of all the Hub 5s which have been made. Short of recalling and replacing them all, VM might be now stuck in a problem of their own making, ie, they don’t actually know which batch(es) of Hubs are affected and so don’t know which need swooping out!

Really wouldn’t like to be them trying to sort this one out!

When hardware is being built, there are always ‘tolerances’ in the performance of the devices. The various components involved in the construction could be sourced from different suppliers, and the these suppliers might get their raw components from different sub-suppliers etc. No two Hub 5s will be absolutely identical, but that doesn’t matter, as long as everything is guaranteed to work within certain tolerances and limits. But what if the manufacture decides to cut a few corners, save a few pennies on each chip, and purchase some components which ‘claim’ to be the same, but actually aren’t made to the same standards? They might, probably will, get away with it - as long as you don’t operate on the edge of the performance envelope.

Until, of course, you run up against a situation where a Hub 5 with components which can’t cope with edge-case conditions, is paired with a phone which is also running on the edge of the envelope, albeit still, technically within the ‘specs’! This would be backed up by the experiences of customers who claim that everything was fine with their phone plugged into a Hub 3 or 4 (different suppliers), but it all fell apart when they ‘upgraded’ to a 5!

Still, like I said, pure speculation, what would I know?

CEEJAYTHEDEEJAY
On our wavelength

Sooooo!, If this "No Number" scenario is down to what Virgin say is "Hardware related", please do tell me WHY,

a friend of mine (who is on exactly the same BT Phone system and tariff as me) and lives no more than a mile away as the crow flies has not got a problem.

Soo that makes it a hardware issue does it then !, I should Co Co.

Get you heads out of you "Fundamental orifice" Virgin and get this sorted !.

Oh , and yes the last digit of the Call time alters most days to the next digit ( from 3 to a 4, and 4 to a 5 ,etc etc etc.), and it is ALWAYS the last digit of the time that the "no number" call is received

@CEEJAYTHEDEEJAY wrote:

Sooooo!, If this "No Number" scenario is down to what Virgin say is "Hardware related", please do tell me WHY,

a friend of mine (who is on exactly the same BT Phone system and tariff as me) and lives no more than a mile away as the crow flies has not got a problem.

Soo that makes it a hardware issue does it then !, I should Co Co

.…snip

But does your friend have exactly the same Hub, made by the same company using the same components? And would you, or they even know how to find this out?

If the answer is no, then yes, I really can be a hardware issue!

TF1909
Dialled in

BT8500 trio add please

Ghost Calls are typically triggered from a computer script attempting speculative scam VOIP calls to the default SIP ports of many public IPs.

Just as email spam affects some but not others, Ghost Calls require your IP to be on a list or in the range the scammer is using.

That the Hub 5 does not ring the phones at least prevents a conversation with fraudsters.

Suggested early on and rejected by VM. 

Asked to pass to security department for review - not done (unnecessary - VM). 

Definitely (VM said) not an external actor.

Doctors seldom appreciate the patient walking through the door and having sufficient expertise to recognise the symptoms and to offer a diagnosis.