cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

I was a business customer with VM and I had a Hitron router which they provided. I don’t believe it’s  a router model problem. I have now transferred to a residential customer and now have the Gig router. I have been experiencing “no number calls” for over I year. The only thing I believe that is common between the two services is VOIP so it’s my belief that it’s how it’s been implemented and nothing to do with types of phone. No one probably had any issues with the old style connections to our property’s.

PRidgway
On our wavelength

@VM Thank you for acknowledging the issue at hand and ‘owning’ the problem by working with your equipment supplier. Please could you provide some clarity on the following:

1) where you state this issue is device specific and not global, I can understand that not every phone make/model is affected. Are you also saying that a phone that fails on one hub5 may be okay on another hub5?

2) If specific phone make/models fail consistently, is there any common specification i.e., do all analogue phones have issue, and all digital phones do not?

3) Do any affected phone make/model have issue on anything other than the hub5?

The above would surely help in resolution, and may also indicate that the device specific’ is indeed the hub5.

If my assumptions are correct, confirmed by responses to the above questions, then it would appear that VirginMedia have directly caused the issue in service and are then wholly responsible for rectification.

As the contract does not specify a particular phone make/model, or indeed a ‘type’ of phone, and that people had no issue before the change, it strengthens the point that VirginMedia are in breach of contract to all affected people.

If you find that, for example, the issue only affects analog phones then you may choose to introduce something in future product description. However, it remains to see how you resolve the current customer service issue where you are quite feasibly due refunds/damages to so many existing customers.

It might be worth you seeking a public statement from your legal department at this stage.

Hi PRidgway, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I will raise your questions with the relevant teams.  When I have an update, I will get back to you.

Regards

Lee_R

BT Advanced phone system with true call. 4 handsets, call blocking and answer machine. Item code 090641

I have been receiving these calls since my phone has been activated to use with my new Hub 5. I have phoned my landline from my mobile and that works fine, as does my broadband. 

I have today taken my case to the ombudsman and await a response.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@radaress wrote:

I have been receiving these calls since my phone has been activated to use with my new Hub 5. I have phoned my landline from my mobile and that works fine, as does my broadband. 

It's a known issue for the Hub 5

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Constant-quot-no-number-calls-quot-since-moving-to-I...

Our Voice engineering teams have concluded that the "no number" issue is device specific and not a global issue.

We will now look to explore the option to regulate the route cause, however, this needs to be discussed with the our equipment vendors and may take some time to come back.

what a load of rubbish !, if you read my posts ,you will see that a friend who lives less than a mile away with "The same kit as me" has not got the problem !.

So your statement above id a load of old tosh !

All my calls times end in a 3......

Thanks for the reply @OLAcomb on the forums page. 🙂

May I ask what handset make and model your home phone is?
We have noticed a trend with the Hub 5 and some other devices due to power levels which are causing no number calls.
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs