cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

ModTeam

Hi all, 

Thank you for your patience whilst we continued to investigate this issue.

Our Voice engineering teams have concluded that the "no number" issue is device specific and not a global issue.

The route cause is located on the handsets’ sensitivity to power fluctuations received from the Hub. 

Here is the list of handsets we tested:

(We're also aware of reports of other handsets)

• Gigaset C530A Trio Digital Cordless Answer machine
  • BT8600 Advanced Call Blocker
  • BT Decor 2600 v2
  • Panasonic KX-TGJ424EB Digital Cordless Telephone with Nuisance Call Blocker and Answering Machine, Quad Dect

We will now look to explore the option to regulate the route cause, however, this needs to be discussed with the our equipment vendors and may take some time to come back.

As always we will continue to update you along the way.

Kind regards,

Community Moderation Team

Finally VM have identified the issue! That’s only taken the best part of a year. 
Wonder how long “some time” will be for the fix …

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Please add bt d93x with call screening and call blocker to the list

Majidph
On our wavelength

Please don't forget to add BT Premium Phone.

lenworth
On our wavelength

BT Premium cordless phone for me too.

VM claim that the issue is the phones. Some of the phones, what about the rest, my phone is not on there list. Strange it's the phone's fault and not the VM system.

Come on VM come clean and admit that you system is lacking. I once again invite VM to supply me a phone to test if want to prove that it is my phone.

Woodbutcher1234

Before I moved to the digital voice (VoIP) system 2 weeks ago this Saturday I never had ghost calls, moving over to digital voice I get the ghost calls so indeed it's their digital voice service as haven't changed the handset.

The VM statement only indicates fixes for the Hub 5's defects (in Reliability / WiFi / DHCP / Ghost calls) are not a day closer

• Virgin Media moved people from Landline to IP Telephony. 
  • Virgin Media moved people onto hub 5
  • Since this Virgin Media initiated activity several users have experienced Ghost Calls.
  • Virgin Media made lots of placating noises, were looking into it, and offered several "fixes" that proved wrong and irrelevant.
  • Virgin Media Admitted it was a Firmware Issue
  • Virgin Media blamed the phone providers and tried to get them to change their Firmware
  • Virgin Media Blamed their Router Suppliers and tried to get them to change their firmware.
  • Virgin Media now conclude that the issue is caused by "handsets’ sensitivity to power fluctuations received from the Hub"
  • See the common denominator here - VIRGIN MEDIA!
  • Guess what - IT IS YOUR HUB THAT IS GENERATING POWER FLUCTUATIONS - Try again children!
  • you might also want to reconsider your testing regime that failed to identify this during Beta Test.  I bet you only conducted "Positive Testing" (does it do what we said) and did no negative testing (can I break it) to save money.
  • Clearly Systems Engineering is not the forte of Virgin Media.  Screwing your customers is.

TF1909
Dialled in

I think I have this correct but correct me if not:

If you look on BT website as I have recently done for my mother - I think when they have moved or are moving people to VOIP or digital they actually supply a new phone or are offering a range of phones to plug into the router. Should Virgin be doing this to combat this problem? Just a thought.