cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

so after 1 week of the No Number Missed calls issue, I recorded the times over 7days just to see if there was any pattern...

maybe its of use to someone 🤓

• BT Premium phone: since 2019 not seen this issue before
  • switched from landline to VoIP Saturday 7 Jan around 9am: first missed call 5hrs later
  • SH5 - swapped 21 OCT 2022
  • Modem Mode: DOCSIS 3.1 Hardware version 1.1 Software version LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7

• virginmissed P1.jpgvirginmissed P2.jpg

If this phantom calling issue is only on the Hub5 then why not replace it with a Hub4. The BB speed difference for anyone on the 1gb service will be negligible and anyone on a lower BB service will notice no difference at all. Seems to me to be an easy fudge until the Hub5 issue is fixed and less stressful for all concerned.

That would be fine if I had a Hub 4. 

Unfortunately that isn't the case for us, as we were moved from a Hub 3 to a Hub 4, and we've still got the issue, and we use a Panasonic cordless handset (single unit).

Our issue only started when we were put on the faster bandwidth, from the VM100. 

I could only then put it down to the change in speeds or something to do with the port scanning on higher bandwidths.

Regardless, VM haven't been back in touch about my wife's lost revenue, and are happy to have closed our issue as fixed, and so the phone is unplugged and this we're paying line rental for no purpose whatsoever due to the service being better when it is disconnected 

@IndigoStickman wrote:

Unfortunately that isn't the case for us, as we were moved from a Hub 3 to a Hub 4, and we've still got the issue, and we use a Panasonic cordless handset (single unit).

Our issue only started when we were put on the faster bandwidth, from the VM100. 

I could only then put it down to the change in speeds or something to do with the port scanning on higher bandwidths.

Regardless, VM haven't been back in touch about my wife's lost revenue, and are happy to have closed our issue as fixed, and so the phone is unplugged and this we're paying line rental for no purpose whatsoever due to the service being better when it is disconnected 

I thought this was a Hub5 and BT premium phone issue?

No I have the same problem on a Business Hitron router and BT premium phone and had same issue when I had Panasonic phones previously 

Hi @IndigoStickman, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of revenue your wife has had due to the issue.
May I ask if she has a business account? If so, she will need to get in touch with the business team on 0800 052 0800 and they will be able to sort this out.
We only deal with residential queries on here.

Let us know how it goes with the team.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

lenworth
On our wavelength

For those of us on residential contracts it would be good to know that this is being investigated and that a solution might be available soon. Can you confirm that Ilyas?

Thank you for reaching out to us @lenworth on the Virgin media forums.

Regarding the update to fix for the VOIP line on the Hub 5.
I have been in touch with the community lead in this department and we could see that this is a re-occuring issue affecting a percentage of our customers.
They have informed me that this issue has reached our engineers and they are working on the fix.

Due to the nature of the fault and the various factors that are causing this, they do require extensive testing to be done to ensure this fix is the resolution without any further backlash, so we are unable to give a timeframe for now unfortunately,

Once everything it set in place and ready, we will keep our customers informed and roll it out through the form of a hub firmware update.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That is the most complete response we have received so far, but still leaves us with a system "improvement" that has proven to be incompletely/ inappropriately tested before roll-out, has degraded our existing solutions, and has no resolution date in sight. Compounding this, all suggested "hot-fixes" have proven to be ill-conceived and ineffective (reboot hub, try another phone system, change the phone number, ask BT to change their firmware, upgrade/downgrade hub etc).

It seems the issue is Firmware based, affects both Hub 4 and Hub 5, and impacts several phone systems (BT, Hicom, Panasonic) and also Hitron business routers.