cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

@Redwards86 wrote:

Perhaps everyone who’s posted on this issue should all make individual complaints to OFCOM? That would make VM speed up the process as OFCOM complaints, upheld or not each have a cost that VM has to pay. 

It's a common misconception that when a company gets fined, the company pays the fine.

The truth is the customer always pays any and all company costs and this includes company fines. The fines don't come out of the CEO's bank account. It's not the individual responsible getting fined from his executive salary... It's the whole company getting fined, and when the whole company gets fined it's the customer revenues that are paying for it.

By the way this whole debacle seems absolutely bizarre. It would take a qualified VoIP engineer about 20-30 minutes to find the cause and offer a full resolution for this issue, save actual logistical implementation. I have come to the conclusion that the VoIP engineer Virgin Media has appointed to this case is in fact a mug from the kitchen cupboard or maybe an empty crisp packet, would love to be proven wrong.

Is VM pushing some sort of Message Waiting Indicators over their VoIP>analogue bridges? Maybe try disabling those as a start?

You can install tracer devices to the affected endpoints to replace the BT device. These can trace every single signal sent to the endpoint and tell you what event is causing these phantom missed calls. Takes about 5 minutes.

Yep.  A technology company telling its customers it is unable to triage, diagnose, correct, test, and roll out a solution to a problem (created by them by failing to properly tests a service change rolled out by them over a period of months), or at least a planned solution timeline, is laughable.  That is exactly the point of all these submissions.  "Under Investigation" responses, only supplied when solicited, just doesn't cut it.  Unfortunately in a world where "sales" is king and service is "you get what you are given" this now seems the new norm - at least for VM - where tell them anything just to get them to shut up and go away is the solution of choice.  Unfortunately, even going to OFCOM (in this case via CEDR) for arbitration is a long drawn out process, dependant for appropriate supply of information to support a request before anything is done there either.

1, VM need to supply a deadlock letter agreeing no solution found after 6-8 weeks so that a complaint may be submitted via https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/
2. In order to agree to this, VM require a lot of information via a Subject Access Request https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dsar-faq adding another 30 day delay to pull all the call recordings, emails and webchats along with any notes their staff have left on an account.
3. there is no indication that after this, that is sufficient to support the complaint escalation, or that additional requests for information will not be required.

If you are are aware of simple tools that can help with the information gathering at this stage; where and how to access these tools would be useful to know. Guidelines for there use even better,

Does anyone know how to update a complaint.  I urgently want to update complaint C-221122184.

1. I asked for a management call - no answer

2. I asked for senior management review - no answer

3. I wrote to CEO - no answer

4. I asked for a deadlock letter - no Answer

5. issue now set to resolved (from "one of our team is investigating") without any response and issue is NOT resolved

Calls Today (Sun 8th - so far) 0210, 0330, 0350.

@Chris_Myers wrote:

Does anyone know how to update a complaint.  I urgently want to update complaint C-221122184.

1. I asked for a management call - no answer

2. I asked for senior management review - no answer

3. I wrote to CEO - no answer

4. I asked for a deadlock letter - no Answer

5. issue now set to resolved (from "one of our team is investigating") without any response and issue is NOT resolved

I’d suggest giving them a call. 

Yes speaking to them on the phone can be hard work but it’s probably the quickest way to do it. 
Don’t bother asking to speak to a manager though as there are never any available. They’ll just offer a call back which never happens. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Chris_Myers,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you have an ongoing issue with your complaint.

Can you tell us a little more about your complaint so we can understand your complaint in further detail?

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Chris_Myers wrote:

Calls Today (Sun 8th - so far) 0210, 0330, 0350.

Interesting. Yours on 0’s where as mine today have been 03:52, 05:02, 05:52 & 10:02.

@Chris_Myers - yours tomorrow will probably end in 1’s and mine will end in 3’s as I’ve noticed the pattern of the minute going up by 1 each day. 

was switched from a faulty landline to VoIP adaptor yesterday Sat 8th Jan 2023

BT Premium Phone, VoIP adaptor, Hub 5

came home to three missed calls from a No Number.  No worries, couldn’t have been important and we weren’t in. hourly spacing on the times.

by the time we went to bed we had another three missed calls and yet the phone HAD NOT RUNG 🤔

14:14 sat No Number
15:04 sat No Number

20:54 sat No Number
21:44 sat No Number
22:34 sat No Number

cleared missed call list and woke up today to another three…

03:34 sun No number
04:24 sun No number
05:14 sun No Number

good job the phone isn’t ringing at these times, puzzled how it’s showing missed calls without ringing?

If I test the inbound with other phones it rings and displays as it should

Yes - and this is why we are all frustrated on this posting. This information has been, supplied and resupplied several times over months (read this, and associated postings, and associated complaints).

• There is an issue moving landline phones to VOIP that appears to be associated with upgrade to Hub 5.
  • This issue was thought to only involved BT phone systems but has been proven to affect other phone systems.
  • This issue has been identified as a Virgin Media FIRMWARE issue by your own technical teams (we are looking into it, need extensive testing, no resolution timeframe available)
  • The issue manifests itself with routine and regular "no number" calls being registered on the call list of the phone system.  The phone does not ring, and no messages left.
  • The issue has been ongoing and known by Virgin Media for over 6 months.
  • I first raised my personal complaint (C-221122184) back in November 2022.  I wrote to the CEO about this in December 2022 asking for an investigation and action to be taken after no joy escalating to management level (requests ignored).
  • Through this forum I, and others, asked for a "deadlock letter" so we could escalate the complaint for arbitration through OFCOM.
  • Today my complaint is set to RESOLVED by the technical team without anyone contacting/speaking to me or issuing the deadlock letter - and it is not resolved - I have received more calls registered this morning (as indicated earlier).  Worse, I am told that the RESOLVED status cannot be changed as it was input by a technical team. Please read my previous posting particularly, my involvement in this community chain in general, and the complaint notes for full details of my issues

What further information - exactly - do you/Virgin Media require?

Hi all,

I've been viewing this thread for some time, and thought I might as well register to add my experience.

For us, the ghost call issue only started when a sales agent called us to upgrade our package, and increase our bandwidth. Ironically, this was the same rough time as others have mentioned (late autumn 2022).

Since then it's actually cost my wife over £400 in revenue, as she is a call operator that works from home: if she misses three calls on a shift (these calls drop her regular calls it seems, or come through at the same time), she is forced to log off and so every time this happens she loses earnings.

Virgin came out and moved us from a Hub 3 to a Hub 4, as the issue with the Hub 5 was well reported (as is seen in here), and it was fine for about a week or two but started again, for more lost earnings. She's since had to switch to using a mobile handset, which has dropped her rate but at least now she is making money and our rent is paid.

I'm not just here to vent, I'm here to be somewhat optimistic that the firmware update will work. I would imagine the reason for the delay is due to it affecting ALL hub types, so needs to be across the whole range. 

The downside is that we're all still falling foul of this, the admins etc can't help us due to lack of information, and from a personal perspective we've been offered nothing by way of compensation for the lost earnings other than "info being sent to the relevant dept" courtesy of the international call centre.

I'll be watching this thread eagerly as the uncertainty of my wife's earnings is now affecting her mental wellbeing, and I won't allow VM to sidestep that responsibility.