cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Thanks, Chris.  Please keep us updated 🙂

Usually, thanks for the reply. 

Usually you will find it working again, there is no resolution date at present and hopefully we will have one soon. 

Chris. 

If its any help to your tech department 

I was using a Panasonic cordless phone (very old from like 2005) and never had this issue.   I bought a new BT premium phone and it all started.   BT premium phone is said to work fine with Virgin VOIP  so I'm unsure.

I've had a Hub 5 for a few months now and yes above observations are all on HUB 5 

Hey there @snozski thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the no number calls.
This is the third case I've seen regarding this.
I will investigate this further for you and look in to what has gone on.
Watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in to a private chat.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Does this mean we are all (@snozski, @goslow, @chelmoo, and myself) waiting for a purple envelope inviting us to "chat"?

The descriptions in the chain seem common and fairly explanatory, what else do you need to conduct an investigation and provide a resolution?

I still do not understand being told by Virgin Media that members of the team cannot see these calls.  If they are appearing on the call list of the user device surely this information is being provided by Virgin Media to the handset device so must come from a server somewhere - unless it is a man-in-the-middle attack (in which case I would expect more than just us three experiencing this (as the message from @goslow would seem to indicate) and an indication of a more serious issue?

Can we also be told who is taking ownership of this issue and who to contact - so far 4 members of Forum_Team have "touched" this stream (Robert_P, Vikki_M, Chris_W1, Ilyas_Y)?  I would have hoped by now it had reached a technician who is taking ownership and action, but still seems to have not got past a "chat" stage.

Hey chris does your no number no ring calls all happen on the same minute too ?  

Mine are like 1-4 hours apart, and always like 28 or 38 or 48 past the hour but always 8 minutes!   There seems to be a pattern to it. 

Yes, but I noticed after your post mine moved from 8 to 9 (39,49, etc).

At the moment I go in daily and delete the recent calls list otherwise that option is useless to me.

Interesting yes.  Are you on HUB 5 also ? : )

From my experience with Virgin so far it will most likely be 2023 before this is resolved lol.  Not taking anything away from the forum team they have always been a big help to me. 

Yes, I was moved from Hub 3 to Hub 5 by an engineer as part of the changeover.  Interestingly he was sent out because Virgin Media were called to offer advice on the need for a hub upgrade, checked my system, told me they saw a problem with the landline. and sent the engineer to fix that.  When I told the engineer why I called, he immediately upgraded the hub (whilst telling me they were better than the intermediary Hub 4, where he saw many issues).  I also have a BT DEC phone system (4 phones and a base station).  I also spoke to BT and was also told there was no issue with their phones and IP Telephony.

Hi @Chris_Myers

My colleague passed your details on to ensure any issues are resolved.

I will reach out to him him and ask that he contacts you as soon as he has an update.

He raised this on Thursday so to set expectations the earliest he will pop back to you here would be Tuesday.

Thank you for your patience whilst we look into this. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide