cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consider suing Virgin - number port issue

Ben11ruaor
Joining in

I changed to virgin on 26 April from Sky. 
my package wasn’t delivered by yodel until 27 April.
I am without my land line telephone number that I’ve had for over 23 years I presume because of this.
Virgin have broken their contract with me as I have written date of installation.
I have spent several hours on WhatsApp and messages to night and am unable to speak to one human being.

Would anybody know Virgin Media address that I can send small claim court papers to ?plus a name(s) would also be handy.

Thanks for any reply

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Good luck suing a multi-billion pound company for an installation that's a day or so late.  I'd expect any competent judge to dismiss such an action as vexatious and unmerited, and because it sounds like you've neither used VM's complaints process, nor the industry adjudication scheme that is the logical step after you've tried a formal complaint.  It is an expectation in the courts that applicants have exhausted a company's processes first, and then used ADR options, with legal action a last resort.

Having an install date in writing is not a firm and enforceable guarantee (read the T&Cs), added to which there's automatic compensation for late installations - again something any judge should use as reason to dismiss a case.

Why not cancel under your cooling off rights?  If you really want to sue over a one day late delivery, then I suspect you'd find the entire VM customer experience an ordeal, and whilst they'd never say it, VM might conclude that you'd be a better fit with another ISP.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you sign for Virgin and request a number port this can only be done if the number is active and not in the process of cancellation, if you canceled with sky it would block the number transfer, being a day late would have no impact. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Ben11ruaor,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome both here and to Virgin Media, sorry to hear your number hasn't come over, as advised above when you join us the port is done around 10 Days later, this can only be done if the line is still active, if you have already cancelled the other supplier we are no longer able to take the number.

Regards

Paul.

Apologies for earlier rant. Was very upset at Virgin having been on the WhatsApp & messages for over 5 hours.
I did exactly as requested to by Virgin during the transfer so I just don’t know. I think I’ll have to face having lost 5he number
Thanks for your help & reply

Thank Paul why was that not explained to me when transferring to Virgin. Sorry for the earlier rant. I really was upset and had been on WhatsApp and my messaging for over 5 hours to them. I just did as Virgin instructed me to do. I think I have to face up to the fact I’ve lost 5he number.
Thanks again for your reply

Thanks Danny for your response. I just did what I was told to by Virgin.so I guess I’ll just have to face up to losing 5he number.I am very disappointed and thought it would be an easy thing to transfer. I still don’t understand why no one at virgin could explain the process as easily as people on this forum. Sorry for earlier rant I was very upset ( and still am) but now know how to use the complaints system. Thank you again

Thanks Andrew for your detailed and to me anyway totally irrelevant answer. It’s the fact that delivery was late, the fact that I’m now without my landline number because ( I think) of VM and that fact that I’ve spent over 5 hours on various mediums with Virgin staff who cannot answer a simple question.
I now know how and where thanks to this forum to raise a complaint, which I will do.
I don’t know where you live but it is comparatively easy to raise a small claims court case here against anybody including multi billion pound companies.
Understanding what you have written however I will look at the procedure as you (did not) suggest.
Thank you for replying to my frantic rant. I was upset after spending several hours on the WhatsApp and message with Virgin operatives and this forum has given me perspective. With regard to cancellation I’ve lost my landline number anyway!

Hi Ben11ruaor,

Thank you for reaching back out, we are sorry to hear you weren't advised you needed to keep the line active in order to bring your number over, we will get this fed back internally, if you do wish to raise an official complaint you can view our Complaint Code of Practice here.

If you do need any further help, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul. 

Thanks again Paul for your cool head!