Menu
philbo1
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Connecting VOIP phone port to existing house cabling (BT)

Hi

Our location has now been connected up to the new VM fibre to the house network and I am thinking of signing up.

I understand that the phone service (VOIP?) is provided by a port on the back of the Hub?

As we have a lifeline unit connected in an upstairs room via the existing BT (openreach) cabling (openreach NTE plus extension sockets), can the VOIP port be connected to the nearby socket, so it effectively back feeds to the existing wiring? (I realise the old BT line will need to be disconnected at the "master" NTE - I am retired engineer).

I have read online that something like a RJ11 to BT cable/adaptor (or RJ11 to BT crossover cable/adaptor) may be the answer?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting VOIP phone port to existing house cabling (BT)

Hi philbo1, 

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and it's great to hear you're interested in our services 🙂 

In some areas customer will get their phone service directly from the hub this is provided via the port on the back of the hub (VOIP or 21CV) . For lifeline customers we provide an emergency back up unit which can be used to dial 999 if there is an issue with your hub / service. 

Please let us know if you have any further queries, we will be more than happy to help you 🙂

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos