cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect phone to hub without new cabling

philt
Dialled in

We have been getting regular outages on our phone line and each time it needs some fix at the exchange. I have no idea what this fix is, but we haven’t needed an engineer to attend our property yet.

During calls to VM we start discussing an early switch to Fibre phone line. I am keen on this but my hub is in one room (like most people, near the TIVO & TV) and I want the phone base station to remain in the hall near the front door.

I know VM will run fresh cables for free, but I don’t want any new cables running between the two locations.

I could put the DECT base unit near the hub but it would be in the wrong place and be out of sight.

So I am wondering if there are other options for connecting the DECT base unit to the hub – via the house network. Many years ago, I installed CAT5 cables through parts of the house and I also have TPLink powerlines (last resort as they’re unreliable)

Is it possible to connect a DECT phone to the Hub 3 via my home LAN? – albeit with some suitable adaptor. 

Obviously this would only be possible when my line has been switched over.

10 REPLIES 10

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @philt, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the phone line:(
If you were to do the switchover to the VOIP line, we can arrange for the hub to be relocated if you wish.
We wouldn't place in new cables but would extend the current length of the cable to ensure it runs through near the house phone.

Let us know if you'd like us to get this done and we can 🙂

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@philt wrote:

We have been getting regular outages on our phone line and each time it needs some fix at the exchange. I have no idea what this fix is, but we haven’t needed an engineer to attend our property yet.

<snip>

As I understand it from past topics, it has been mentioned that the 21CV phone connection via the VM hub is still actually connected to the same VM exchange equipment at present (just connected via different means from home to VM). If your ongoing fault has been fixed remotely on the exchange equipment, then possibly you might be no further forward with a 21CV connection from the VM hub.

If VM modify your phone wiring to connect the phone socket on the VM hub to existing extension wiring, it doesn't need to be a full rewire of the phone extension sockets. They would need to 'tap-in' to the existing phone wiring somewhere convenient.

If your existing coax cable from the hub runs to the outside omnibox and the phone wire does the same then the VM tech may be able to follow the existing coax cable route from the hub for a new phone wire and make the link inside the omnibox outside. You would have to sort out such details with the VM tech if you decided on that route.

If you plugged your cordless phone base into the VM hub, you could fit another satellite handset in the hall. Depending on your cordless system, most allow you full control of the base station for a satellite phone for things like answering machine and missed calls etc. It is also possible with some phones to set the satellites to flash of make a beeping sound for missed calls or messages to avoid missing any.

It is also possible to patch phone connections over data cables such as Cat5 but generally the data cables radiate in a star configuration from a single point whereas phone extensions are often linked in a daisy chain from from to the other. Might be possible but would depend on how you data cables are arranged and where you need the phones set up.

The wireless used for the cordless phones and the wireless from the hub are not the same so you can't connect an ordinary DECT phone onto the hub's wi-fi, unfortunately.

BT's 'Digital Voice' does more of what, I think, you are describing

https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice

where they supply specific phones which link to the BT hub. They also offer a wireless adapter

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter

which allow you to plug in an ordinary phone and link it wirelessly to the BT hub. Unfortunately, am not aware of any VM equivalents.

I don't see how it would be possible without having new cabling somewhere in the house and drilling walls. The current cable is split at the front of the property - the phone line enters the front of the house and the coax runs around the outside and enters at the back of the property to then be split for Hub and Tivo.
Also, all 4 ethernet ports on the hub are in use - TV, DVD, X-Box, and connection to the house network via a wall socket.

Maybe if an engineer does end up visiting for the current fault then he could check and advise.
Previous engineers have not attended due to being able to resolve the issue remotely.

@goslow wrote:

If your existing coax cable from the hub runs to the outside omnibox and the phone wire does the same then the VM tech may be able to follow the existing coax cable route from the hub for a new phone wire and make the link inside the omnibox outside. You would have to sort out such details with the VM tech if you decided on that route.

Thanks. This sounds like the best option.

I will discuss with the engineer .... if he attends .

Please let us know how it goes with the technician visit philt.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@philt wrote:

@goslow wrote:

Thanks. This sounds like the best option.

I will discuss with the engineer .... if he attends .

Worth noting that if you are getting a tech out to fix a current fault, the tech may be time-limited in how long s/he can attend for. If they switch you to 21CV, as an alternative to a repair, then you may not get the extensions modified there and then if the tech does not have enough time. These on-the-fly modifications to 21CV have occasionally required a second visit to deal with connecting the extensions to the new 21CV connection. You might want to clarify this at the time before deciding to switch or repair your line.

When VM convert an existing landline connection to 21CV as part of their planned programme for such work, the connection of extensions should also be factored in as part of the planned switchover and should be free of charge at that time (but again may also require a second tech visit).

philt
Dialled in

The fault got cleared at the exchange a couple of days ago but I kept the engineer visit. Two knowledgeable guys turned up and we had a very detailed discussions.   First, they confirmed that the fault was in the exchange again and my line was ok. 

I will now wait for my DOCSIS/21CV upgrade notification (possibly Feb-May 2023) - OR - if the fault, reoccurs then request an earlier upgrade.

The DECT base unit will be relocated to the location of the hub and we'll see how we get on with it. I suspect mixed thoughts from people in the house.
If it is not workable in this location then a cable route around the outside of the property has been identified and we can schedule some rewiring. This will have a master socket on the wall near the hub and fresh cable run to the existing location of the DECT base unit.  This option is acceptable as no new cabling will go inside the property.

Thank you for responding to us, Philt.

We are glad to know the engineers were able to help you with your fault by confirming it was at the exchange.

Once the upgrade has gone through, please let us know how you get on.

Once you have relocated the DECT base, let us know how that works for you and if it does help.

If you need anything else we are one post away.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@goslow wrote:

As I understand it from past topics, it has been mentioned that the 21CV phone connection via the VM hub is still actually connected to the same VM exchange equipment at present (just connected via different means from home to VM). If your ongoing fault has been fixed remotely on the exchange equipment, then possibly you might be no further forward with a 21CV connection from the VM hub.

I did ask this specific question. In my case, the Exchange equipment with the fault is the immediate old/copper connection point. When it goes, it could take out up to 30 phone lines. It is not related to the 21CV connection at all. So when I switch, I would bypass the old kit completely. 

I do find it odd that they are unable to detect this exchange fault automatically. Each time I reported it, the VM line tests came back with no fault. It's only when 3 or 4 people report the same fault that they send someone out to the exchange to check.