cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect home landline network to Virgin hub modem?

magik
Joining in

Very soon our landline will be disconnected and we will have to connect our phone to the modem in order to continue to use the landline. However, our house has 3 (landline) handsets and they are all currently wired into the landline 'network' at home.

After the switch, I can connect a single phone via the adaptor, but I won't be able to use the phones in the other rooms and upstairs. Is it simply the case that I have to live with that or are there any other options available to me?

Any advice would be much appreciated

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@magik wrote:

Very soon our landline will be disconnected and we will have to connect our phone to the modem in order to continue to use the landline. However, our house has 3 (landline) handsets and they are all currently wired into the landline 'network' at home.

After the switch, I can connect a single phone via the adaptor, but I won't be able to use the phones in the other rooms and upstairs. Is it simply the case that I have to live with that or are there any other options available to me?

Any advice would be much appreciated

You need to book a VM tech as part of the changeover process in order to reconnect your wired extensions. Have a read through

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

The topic of reconnecting extensions after switchover does crop up on here regularly and VM's answers often go around and around in circles. You might get a yes, no or a maybe. Seemingly if the hub and an existing telephone socket are near to each other, that seems more likely to be successful.

The VM hub phone connection is really best used with a set of cordless phones with the base station plugged into the hub and cordless extensions used where required.

From the above link

I have several phones connected to extensions – will these work?
Yep, when our technician pops around to install your new Hub (if you need one ) they’ll make sure all your phones work too. Please make sure you respond to our calls to schedule a technician visit.

What if the Hub and my phone are located in different rooms?
Ideally the Hub and your phone should be within 2 metres of each other. Our technician will chat to you about this when they connect the Hub. If you’d like your phone to be further away from the Hub, our technician may need to do additional wiring at no extra cost.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi magik,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear there is questions around our Phone switchover you haven't been advised, when you have additional phone outlets we can provide a cable so they still work, this is something we can send if required.

You can find our more around the migration and what it actually consists of here.

Rgards

Paul.

Hey thanks very much @goslow, how do I book a vm tech, I tried 3 times to contact vm regarding this and the last time I resorted to making a complaint in an effort to getting somewhere- but going around in circles. 

So unhappy with VM, they don’t have an option to deal with the problem I am facing on their automated support (yet in the documentation for the switch to voip it says to contact VM if you have problems) and I hate the way they engineer support so you can’t speak to a general support staff when you just need advice.

if I can’t use my existing phone network I am gonna go to a new supplier for all my services out of protest- vote with my feet !

Thanks Paul, I have the adapter thing… but my home phone network is currently wired into the phone cable that comes through the wall. So the adopter won’t connect to that, the adapter will just take one phone.

There must be many thousands of people in this situation, VM are not catering for the needs of their customers as they have no facility to allow customers to access support for this. 

Hi Magik, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I'd like to get an engineer visit booked for you so we can ensure all the phones are connected and working. 

In order to do that I will need to confirm your address to ensure we are sending the engineer to the correct address. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi magik, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message on this. 

As you've not been moved over to the VOIP yet, it makes scheduling the engineer appointment difficult. 

Checking things, nothing has been scheduled for the transfer. When it does you will receive notification. Once you have this, come back to us here in the Community and then I can book the engineer visit for the day after.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Great thanks for your help. 

No problems at all 🙂 

If you have any further issues, pop back here and let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath

Just to let you know that we are now on VoIP, so if you could organise an engineer to help as discussed that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mat