Menu
Charlie7183
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Charges for using landline when no phone plugged in!

Hi, ive had nothing but problems with broadband and TiVo for past 5 weeks (approx) i phoned to complain about this and whilst this being discussed and me asking for some reimbursement on my bill because i have had not had the service i have paid for, i was told there were also charges from my landline.... i have not had any landline phone plugged in for 4 and a half years, i have tried to cancel my landline multiple times to be told my bill will go up, so left it as part of the bundle. I have tried to check my bill so i can see the exact number that has been called and last bill will not load and states the link is broken, the one i have managed to find is 10 minutes past midnight for 1minute duration to an unknown  number, other calls i was told that i had made were similar time frames and 2 of these calls were when i was on holiday! I have been on the phone for over an hour discussing issues with virgin media service and on hold for 37minutes to your tech team to sort this and no answer,  i want these charges taken off my bill and for my line to be checked and fixed immediately, as i stated above there is NO phone plugged in and absolutely no way these calls have came from my home!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charges for using landline when no phone plugged in!

One of the hazards of not plugging a phone & checking the line occasionally is you cannot tell if you have a crossed line with another customer. It is not uncommon for this to happen, & unless it is reported as an actual fault rather than a billing query it can be difficult to get your money back.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Charlie7183
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That is a fair point, but due to constant cold calls and sales which sometimes were late at night i unplugged the phone and threw it away as i use my mobile for calls, i wasnt even aware cross lines was a thing. Im hoping they can come and sort this so i dont have to purchase a landline phone just to check for there mistakes

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Charlie7183,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of this dispute, we can arrange via PM an engineer to visit the property to check a crossed line for you.

I do need to advise though before going ahead, if the technician doesn't find a fault, there would be a £99 call out charge.

If you wish to proceed, please let me know and I can send you the PM.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Charlie7183
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What other problems could this be other than a cross line? I am not paying any amount to fix a problem that is virgin medias error, plus this problem is not just happening to me there are multiple people having the same issue with short calls at late hours when people are usually in bed, so this is obviously an issue with the phone line. I would like some one to check for faults but i am not paying if they can not find one. Is there any way you can check on your system to see that there has been no phone plugged in for over 4 years?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This wouldn't show on our system I'm afraid. 

The only thing we can offer is a technician visit but it would be a chargeable visit if we do not find a fault.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Charlie7183
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you explain what else could be the issue if not a cross lined? Also how come there are multiple customers with the exact problem im having? Has this not been looked into yet from virgin media and why your customers are having the same problems? A quick search will bring up multiple forums of the same problem 

0 Kudos
Brassedoff2
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How can VM put your monthly charge up if you have told them that you dont have a phone or its unplugged, am thinking of taking it out all together and asking them to take the line away but if its going to put my charge up then they can forget it - it's costly now to have the full house as I am on a reduced charge as I have been with them for over 9 years and they dont seem to help their customers by them something back so I made complaint and they gave me a reduced cost for a year,  but this goes up to the £85.00 odds after 25.12.2019, so I am having to think what can I do to reduce my monthly charge, I dont watch all these channels you just cant and its all repeats we are getting and for that catch up and BBC IPlayer it just a disgrace

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you are wanting to book a tech to check this then please let me know Charlie7183

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Charlie7183
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I completely agree i have been with VM for 8-9 years aswell, and currently have a £17 discount on my bill (so they say) and will not reduce my bill any further even though they have just put it up by £4 a month and had nothing but problems recently with internet and tv. As for landline, if you ask them to take it out or not have a landline as part of the package your current bill goes up even more which is ridiculous as you would expect to have a reduced bill if you are removing something, but i was told it all comes together as a "bundle" which is the only reason i have let it stay despite never using it. I agree with channels also, was told they can reduce my bill by £7 a month if i half my internet (go down to 100mb instead of 200mb i am currently getting) and have a basic tv package, but not worth loosing this for just £7 a month.

0 Kudos