cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for calls I didn’t make

JC56
Tuning in

I’ve just been charged 7 times in a space of 6 minutes for apparently making calls to 09068788123. No one in our household has made calls to this number. We don’t even know who it’s to?? Has anyone else had this problem?? It’s obviously a scam number. What are Virgin Media doing to stop this?

9 REPLIES 9

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello JC56

Sorry to hear of the call charges applied to your account, we understand the concern and confusion this can cause.

From looking at the number it appears to be a scam where by anyone answering a call from that number is charged so it doesn't have to be a call made. Have you received any calls of this nature around the time of the charges?

The caller may have said they were from some other company.

Rob

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JC56 wrote:

I’ve just been charged 7 times in a space of 6 minutes for apparently making calls to 09068788123. No one in our household has made calls to this number. We don’t even know who it’s to?? Has anyone else had this problem?? It’s obviously a scam number. What are Virgin Media doing to stop this?

You can look up the number here

https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/service-checker

it appears to be a number linked to TV competitions of some kind

Service category
TV and Radio engagement and competitions

More information about cost
Calls will cost £2.00 plus network access charge.

If the calls did not originate from you, there have been plenty of past topics on scam-type activity related to premium rate numbers appearing on customers' bills but not sure how you could be charged for receiving a call though. More likely a 'crossed-line' or billing error type of explanation on the part of VM or perhaps (especially given the number of calls in such a short space of time). Some kind of fraudulent reverse-charge scam has also been mentioned in the past but would assume that would require some kind of interaction from the call recipient to generate a charge.

Hi Rob

I wasn’t actually at home when the calls were supposed to have been made. However my 95 year old mother was and she might have answered the phone. I have asked her but she can’t remember.

jc56

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JC56, 

Thank you for your reply, I am so sorry to hear about this, and bless you, mother I cannot remember what I had for tea. What landline do you have as I know some will allow you to block numbers, have you signed up to TPS?

Zoie

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Both the OP and forum team may wish to view this past topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/VirginMedia-box-making-premium-rate-calls/td-p/47309...

which involves alleged 'phantom calls' to the exact same number (and others) and a similar dialling frequency/pattern. There was no conclusion to the topic on the forum, unfortunately.

It would be interesting to know how does an incoming call generate a call charge to the customer? The OP is complaining about outgoing calls (as does the above topic logged on a trueCall screening device)

Hi Zoie

I have already registered our number with TPS but these sort of calls seem to get through. I have now spoken to Virgin and they are going to block 090 numbers for me. However, they said they were unable to waive the charges as their systems showed that the number had been called. 

Thank you for keeping us updated JC56.

To confirm, did the team advise they would block those numbers calling you or you being able to call those numbers?

^Martin

They didn’t say but I think the barring will stop us from dialling 090 numbers.

jc56

Hi @JC56

Thanks for the reply!

Please keep us updated with how you get on 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs