Menu
bucyrus
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing line numbers

I currently have 2 physical phone lines for the house. I want to cancel one of the lines, but keep the number for the other line. Is this possible?

For example

Physical line 1 has number 12345678

Physical line 2 has number 87654321

Can i keep physical line 1 and cancel line 2 but keep the number currently assigned to line 2?

0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing line numbers

No sorry. I don’t think it’s possible.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there bucyrus, 

Yes - this can indeed be done 🙂 

Once we cancel line 2, we can key on a number change for line 1 🙂 

Give us a ring on 150/03454541111 and our Customer Care team can arrange this for you - if you have any issues, please do let us know and we'll see what we can do to assist you further. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bucyrus
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have contacted customer care as advised and explained what i want to do, the woman spoke with her manager and then transferred me to another team. I explained again what i wanted to do, she spoke with her manager, and they have now made a request to some technical team to see if what i want to do is possible.

My next question, if i cancel line 1, so i keep line 2 with the phone number i require, can i then arrange for an engineer to visit to physically swap the phone line wires round in the box on the side of my house?

I know from a previous engineer visit that this can be done as he accidentally swapped over the phone numbers.

This may be easier to guarantee that i keep the correct phone number

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there bucyrus, 

Thanks for your reply - sorry about the delay in getting back in touch; I have been away from the office. 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean in regards to the wires - I am sorry? 

Can you elaborate what you mean? 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bucyrus
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think everything will now be resolved. I have spoken to someone who has cancelled the line and says the number will be swapped before the line actually goes dead, so should be fine.

In regards to the wiring, an engineer visited when i had a fault on one of the lines and he made an adjustment in the cabinet on the street. When he came back, both lines were working but the phone numbers for each line had been swapped, so it is possible to change the line numbers over in the cabinet in the street. The engineer also told me that there are four wires in the cable, 2 for each phone line, so it would be possible to swap the cables in the brown box on the side of the house to change which physical lines in the house are connected to which of the two lines available.

Hopefully the numbers will be swapped in the next 10 days or so and i have been told to ring back in 14 days if the numbers have not been swapped, before the line is actually disconnected in 30 days from now.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for expanding, I'm glad to hear that things seem in hand. Please keep us posted here & we'll support you as best we can should things not play out as expected - or let us know if there's anything else we can assist with in the meantime.

Tom_F

0 Kudos