cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed from BT to Virgin, BB=ok but no LandLine now

StingNet
Joining in

Hi, there.  I am located in Sussex, RH19

I switched from BT to Virgin BB several weeks ago and, when the engineer was here, BB was working okay and I am pretty sure we checked the phone line too to make sure all was also good, with a dialling tone. But it has been quiet since then (no incoming calls, and I use a moby for outgoing). I checked the landline today and there is no tone. (Maybe that's why no calls, hmm). I used my mobile to call the landline, I could hear a ringing tone on moby but land phone was silent. I connected a basic phone into the first/incoming phone socket but the phone still has no dialling tone.

When the Virgin BB was installed, a new fibre cable was run into our house with a small box on inside wall, and broadband cable lead out of that to the router (no other sockets on the small box). When the BB installed, there was no physical change to the internal land phone line install, which still ran back to the (previously BT) wall socket, which is where it still plugs in today. I assumed Virgin took over that last bit of the infrastructure and kept everything running up to that first socket.

1) Am I right that the first phone line socket that used to feed in from BT is where I should get the Virgin phoneline service? (Or do I move the landline cable/plug to the router??)

2) How do I get some help from Virgin to sort out my phone line? Is this forum all there is?

Thanks..... 

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you given an adaptor for the phone? If so use that to connect the phone to the hub and try again. 

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @StingNet, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're having issues with your landline.

So our landlines are now connected to the fibre network, which means your landline should be connected directly into your Virgin Media Hub, so directly into the router as you mentioned at the end of your point number 1.

In your QuickStart kit, you should have a cable which connects into the port in your Hub, that says "TEL" - can you locate this? The other end will go directly into your phone.

Please let me know how you get on or if you need any further assistance with this.

Many thanks

Tom_W

I checked the router (very hard to access in the very corner of the room with loads in the way). Yes, there is a tel-1 and tel-2 socket, with a black cable running out. I traced it to the other end, which went back to the first BT Socket (where I have extensions running away). That was probably not right how it  was. So I got hold of the far end of the black cable and plugged it straight into the basic handset (small plug into side of phone unit). But still no dial tone. And when ringing from a mobile phone I can hear the ring noise from the mobile. But no sound from the phone unit, even if listen on handset.

I changed the plug over from Tel-2 to Tel-1 - no change. 

In case the basic phone was defective, I took out the dect phone and cables (phew) that I know is working well and plugged that black cable into the dect base unit. Still nothing (no change if I call from the moby).

SO, I have tested the outlet sockets on the Router with two phones, connected directly into the router sockets (with no extra joints etc) and nothing. The phone line/number itself seems to be functioning okay: if I ring on mobile I can hear a ring noise from the mobile. And meanwhile, the Broadband is still operating okay, so power-to-router is good). 

Summary: There looks like a fault in/upstream from the router, yes?

Oh, and the direct power supply to the router itself is plugged in and switched on, too.

HI StingNet, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and making the attempts to fix this. 

As this still isn't working for you, we will need to get an engineer out to take a look at things for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi StingNet, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi, Kath.

Went well. The Engineer was punctual, very professional, friendly, and courteous.

Problem was with a little cable adaptor/dongle thing, from the BT Plug to that smaller socket on router. The engineer changed that and all was well.

Thanks.

Thank you for the update @StingNet.

We are glad to see the issue was resolved with our team. Please do not hesitate to contact us and let us know if you need any further help? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team