cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to fibre and home alarm system

davidbalerno
Dialled in

Just been advised my date for change to fibre phone. My house security alarm has a speech dialler to call me when the alarm goes off. Checked with my security alarm local provider and been quoted £266 for upgrade to a GSM dialler. Why is this necessary? My alarm system does not appear to be connected by wire to the Virgin landline or the hub. My wireless handsets will presumably still work so why not the dialler?

19 REPLIES 19

Hey @davidbalerno, thanks for the reply.

Let us know how it all goes post appointment and if everything goes smoothly.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@goslow wrote:
BenMcr should be able to provide the correct/official information about this.

Currently nothing has been announced for the Hub based lines to work any differently that their analogue equivalent (barring the power requirement and the back-up units for calling emergency services for those who need them)

But one of the reasons to move to the Hub based lines is to bring the technology running the lines up to date, and make it easier to introduce new features if  / when Virgin Media decide to do so. 

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I have a further update BenMcr - I passed the info provided here to my alarm installer who contacted the manufacturer again. The manufacturer has now confirmed that the V2 TEL will work with the new Virgin 21CV phone connection. This means the only consideration is the connection of the V2TEL to the new router. I will contact VM nearer the time of my changeover date for assistance.

Thanks to all for advice and help given to me here.

Thanks @davidbalrno, do please come back to us when required and we'll do all we can to assist you further.

Best wishes,

David_Bn

Thats good news Davidbalemo.  .

Under the rules governing the introduction of router operated phone lines then Virgin should send out an engineer to you to connect, free of charge, your virgin router to your existing phone sockets at switchover. You are not expected to have to move any equipment.

Hi David_Bn, per recent VM email my phone is due to be switched on 30 November. I believe I need to book an engineer  at switchover to connect cables from my Virgin router located in my study to my existing phone socket/home alarm dialler located in the hall. I would prefer this rather than have to move any equipment. How and when do I arrange this assuming the adapter arrives in the post on 30 November? And do you require any further details?

Hi @davidbalerno thanks for the reply on the Virgin Media forums.

I will assist on getting this arranged for you - i.e. to book the switchover.
I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Thanks for speaking with us today @davidbalerno.

As agreed - we shall follow up in a few weeks to see how the appointment went.
Feel free to reach out to us for any other queries and we shall assist 🙂

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

@Ilyas_Y wrote:

Thanks for speaking with us today @davidbalerno.

As agreed - we shall follow up in a few weeks to see how the appointment went.
Feel free to reach out to us for any other queries and we shall assist 🙂

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

An update on my engineer's visit relating to home phone switchover .@Ilyas_Y .  The engineer successfully ran a cable from my hall phone socket under the floorboards and round the skirting board to my wifi hub located in an adjoining room next to my PC. He tested the phone in the hall which worked perfectly and I have now tested my alarm system to ensure that I receive a call from the system notifying me that the alarm was activated. No equipment needed to be moved and everything works as before. All good.

Thanks also for advice from .@goslow and .@grunkp and .@BenMcr which pointed me in the right direction to get this sorted.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @davidbalerno

Thanks for your response

Absolutely great to hear everything is up and running as expected. I hope you have a great day and thank you for your time.

Travis_M
Forum Team