Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to VOIP now phone has echos 2022

jim046
Joining in

Hi,

Hi,

I have read other posts and there is no real answer, I just changed from the normal phone connection to now plugged into the hub and i have an echo on my handsets, I have done the following:

1. rebooted hub.

2. brought new handset.

3. rebooted hub

and the problem still is there.

while the engineers are nice when they visit we really haven't solved the issue, is this forum able to suggest anything to help?

23 REPLIES 23

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jim046,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forums! 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering from an echo when making calls after switching over to VOIP landline services.

Have you noticed whether this is only occurring on certain types of calls? E.g, making/receiving calls, or from certain numbers such as mobile or landline.

Thanks

Beth

Hi,

when I pick up the handset and press for a line (green button) then if I talk I can hear myself and it is the same in a call, it was all fine when I was connected to the one in the wall, i only reported a cracking line and they said move to connect via hub it is better, this is not the case.

Jim

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s unusual you are getting acoustic feedback by just taking the phone off the hook. This would make the problem local to the handset itself, the adaptor or the hub line circuit. I would try another adaptor first. Then if the handset works fine on another line the hub would be the next target for investigation.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry I didn't explain it well, when I go to use the phone and press the green telephone sign on the handset to get a dial tone I can then hear myself, this is a brand new set as I replaced the other thinking it was the old set, I had an engineer come in the put a new adapter on the line, with the old phone, which didn't work so I agreed to buy a new phone, I replaced the phone and it is still the same, I don't get feedback when using the speaker phone function, do i need a inline filter or something?

Jim

virgins messed things up mate...and theyre desperate not to admit it...can see this message being deleted ASAP

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jim046 wrote:

Sorry I didn't explain it well, when I go to use the phone and press the green telephone sign on the handset to get a dial tone I can then hear myself, this is a brand new set as I replaced the other thinking it was the old set, I had an engineer come in the put a new adapter on the line, with the old phone, which didn't work so I agreed to buy a new phone, I replaced the phone and it is still the same, I don't get feedback when using the speaker phone function, do i need a inline filter or something?

Jim

That is what I’m saying. When you are at the dial tone stage (which is generated by the hub, not the exchange) means the feedback is local & not coming through via the answering party when on a call.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi jim046, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and expanding on things further for us. 

As all area's will be moving to VOIP we need to get this issue resolved for you without moving you back to the old way of using the landline. 

This isn't something we'll be able to fix remotely so I would like to arrange for another engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi jim046, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I'm glad to hear an engineer has already been booked for you. Please let us know here how the visit goes. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Today my parents were changed over to VOIP. What hell, would of rather had my teeth pulled!!

Engineer was polite, said there would be no issues...biggest joke I have heard in a long time.

First - engineer left and as he plugged in the plug into a socket connected to the t.v without us knowing, my Mum turned off the socket as I have told parents not to leave items on stand by when she saw the red button ( has memory loss ).

I went to make a landline phone call without success to a business. A recorded message on the handset greeted me! Phoned Virgin from my mobile and played the message to the operator.

1st problem solved by changing around the plugs to enable t.v to come off standby ( wastes electric if kept on )

1st Hell telephone call - phoned the business and whilst waiting I could hear myself moving paperwork around, connected phone call and all I could hear was myself talking back to me and the other end explaining that they could not hear me well (good start!)

2nd Hell - friend tried getting through to us to inform us of a someone passing away - managed to get me on my mobile where the person said that the line was cut off!

3rd Hell - I phoned Virgin on the landline and was greeted by an operator who could hardly hear me, kep saying hello and to speak up ( I was shouting loud for her to hear me )

Operator rang me back on the mobile number I used earlier!! 30 minutes of repeating myself of what the issues were and her telling my "she understands" (she didn't). I told her that I want an engineer back as it was urgent. Mother has health issues and so do I with my heart so need to be able to get through to emergency if needed.

After losing count of the operator telling me she understands and that an engineer was being booked for 3 days time (Happy Birthday to me dealing with Virgin on Friday!!), I told her that the service now is SUPSTANDARD, NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

I tried to make a phone call to the Doctors later and besides hearing myself talking to my parents, moving around the house whilst waiting on the phone, for me to have to shout whilst the phone was connected was hell.

Thank you to Virgin Media and the added stress I suffered an episode with my heart.

PLEASE think carefully before changing over, delay as long as you can, or like myself, I will be sourcing another company for myself and parents who are not using VOIP.

Wrong that you are not able to turn off the VOIP from the wall sockets or else you will not have a landline.

Roll on Friday for round 2 !!!!