cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to VOIP; Incoherent calls from Virgin;no idea what's happening, or not.

Mike9299
Tuning in

The lady who arranged  my new package on 31st January requested a vulnerability back-up for transfer to VOIP but wasn't sure if this would be picked up by the engineer procurement dep't.

I had a call pm on the 2nd from a lady in the Philippines about changing to VOIP which I assumed meant that it had been progressed. Over about 25 minutes I was struggling to understand what she was saying. Individual words were okay but syntax and meaning were lost. I politely mentioned this and sked that someone else contact me before she rang off because we were getting nowhere and my ears were hurting.

The same lady rang next day, with the same results over a shorter time; I believe it may have been to organise an engineer but maybe not.

Since then I've had a call which emitted a repetitive bleep, drowning out any communication.  Last evening I had another call which cut out on picking up the phone.

I am concerned about the seeming shortcomings of this transfer to VOIP but am not clear about the consequences either.  Could someone here please either update me on progress or initiate a call from someone without an accent impeding voice communication. I find this sequence of calls to be both baffling and unnerving, esp. when your letter states a partial cut-off on Feb. 25th. I neither understand switching to fibre when I thought my line was already (cable) fibre.

Thank you,

MAR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi MAR,

As my colleague has arranged everything for you there is nothing to worry about 🙂

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mike9299 

Welcome back to the community forums 

Sorry to hear of your confusion and concern that you've not been able to discuss the home phone switch over with the team and confirm that an engineer is arranged to come and complete this for you. 

We can certainly take a look at the account here and update you with what is needed or what is already in motion for you. Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks so much for your private message @Mike9299 

Glad we have been able to organised and sorted for you. 

If you can no longer attend appointment do let us know and we can get this rescheduled for you. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

If you believe the issue to be resolved you can mark the thread as resolved by clicking the helpful answer given and this will show anyone else having issue that an answer was given and direct them to the post, alternatively you can just like or 'kudos' the post if it helped you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thank you, Carley,

I am confused by messages everywhere etc. but have just received an email informing me to book an engineer/order a hub, which I think I shouldn't have received because I understand you have already booked me an engineer for the morning of Thursday the 28th February.  I have checked and my line is indeed copper, which surprised me.

Can you clarify/confirm please as I think that email today may be spurious.

MAR

Hi MAR,

As my colleague has arranged everything for you there is nothing to worry about 🙂

Alex_Rm

On my forum's thread about Virgin and VOIP where some members have had the changeover to VOIP, a problem has arisen regarding DECT phone base stations/voicemail.  The Virgin letter dd 13th January states that voicemail services 'stay as they are'. 

My base station is downstairs and my router/computer upstairs  in my office. These placements are necessary, but one poster's base has been moved to be adjacent to his new hub and another has had a fibre-optic cable (cat6?) run from his hub to the existing socket/base.  As this would be simple exterior routing here and if the info. I've received is accurate, can I be assured that the engineer will accomplish this?

Thanks,

MAR

Hi @Mike9299 thanks for your reply here.

That is correct, in order for the 21CV network to be live there must be a direct connection to the Hub itself.

This can be either achieved by moving the base station to the Hub, or placing additional wiring from the existing base station location to the Hub itself.

I hope this helps!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Thank you, Tom.

Will this be done on the engineer's visit on the 28th or will he need to be informed in advance? In which case, can you please organise?

MAR

Hi @Mike9299 thanks for your reply.

If you have a switchover appointment in place, we won't need to put any additional measures in if wiring is required - the sole purpose of their visit is to make sure your landline is working following the switchover so this does cover a lot of actions.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thank you for your reassurance, Tom.

MAR