cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of Telephone to Fibre

BobT
On our wavelength

Hi All - Received notification of change of cabling for telephone.  Can anyone advise me where this new cable will need to be run FROM?  Existing cable runs out of sight under ground floor and I want the new fibre cable to do the same.

Any clarification appreciated

Regards - BobT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @BobT

Thank you very much for joining me private message. 

Really glad to hear that this is all finally resolved for you and you're all set up. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There are phone sockets on the back of the Hub that will be active for your home phone service.

Any base unit or phone extensions will need to be connected to that. If the Hub is not in a suitable place today, you can arrange for an engineer to come out to update your home phone wiring

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone/switchover
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @BobT,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

It looks like @BenMcr has offered some advice and a link with more information on the switchover, but please do let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

BobT
On our wavelength

Hi All - Apologies for the delay in responding.  A couple of queries

a) I currently have a Geemarc telephone/answer machine/ base unit + 3 other wireless handsets fed from this unit scattered around the house (because of mobility problems).  Will this Geemarc base unit still work? Where will it plug in?

b)Is the existing fibre Broadband system for PCs and TV be affected in any way?  Will the existing broadband router still function as it does at the moment. 

c)Presumably a new fibre cable will be installed for the new phone Yes/No? If Yes, where will the cable run from and to. I ask this so that access for technician can be made.

Regards - BobT

Hi @BobT, thanks a lot for your reply and no problem.

In response to your points:

a) It depends on how it's connected at the moment. If your base unit is connected to the standard telephone socket, then it will instead be directly connected to your Virgin Media Hub/Router. There won't be any cabling that runs anywhere for your main unit, as it will literally be connected with one end in the back of your Hub, and the other end in the back of your unit. (This also answers point c of yours too, so no a cable doesn't really need to be installed anywhere).

b) The performance of the broadband won't be impacted in anyway, so please don't worry about a deteroriating impact on your services this way.

What I'd like to do though, is book the switchover appointment in for you as it's possible that based on your layout, you may need some extension adaptors or additional wiring to ensure your set up works correctly still.

Please let me know if you'd like me to arrange this and if so, I'll pop you a PM asking you to confirm further details - I look forward to your reply.
Many thanks

Tom_W

BobT
On our wavelength
Thank you Tom for your response. Current unit is connected to standard phone socket. If my understanding is correct (not guaranteed 🙂 ) then a new cable will run from the router into the back of my Geemarc Phone Unit. Geemarc unit is on the ground floor near middle of the house and router is on the first floor at the back of the house. I assuming this will mean installation of new fibre cable to enable connection of router and phone. The distance between units is approximately 14M (under ground floor and rising to the first floor office. An existing duct is buried behind tiled wall.) IF this old 'thicko' has got this right then what are the chances of Technician dropping off suitable length of cable prior to connection for me to install between the two points? I look forward to your response Regards BobT

Hi @BobT,

As my colleague has advised, you shouldn't need an additional cable. Your landline handset will connect to the router using an adapter which will be provided by the technician during their visit. Everything else will work as normal.

However, if you have any concerns with arrangement and some rewiring does need to take place, please let the engineer know during their visit and they'll make sure it's all in place to your liking and functioning as it should before they leave.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

BobT
On our wavelength

Many thanks to all for your responses.  Will arrange for changeover very soon.

Kindest Regards

BobT

No problem - glad we have been able to help BobT!

Please do come back to us on this thread if you need any more support with this, or have any further questions and concerns following the installation. 

Hope it goes well! All the best. 

Molly

BobT
On our wavelength

Hi to all the respondents to my original message.  Please accept my sincerest apologies for being out of touch for so long.  Unfortunately serious illness and other stuff affecting both my partner and myself has negatively impacted on a lot of things including dealing with this matter. Virgin have now disconnected my landline a few weeks ago.  How can I now arrange to get this reconnected?  As always, any advice appreciated.

Take care - BobT