cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change from landline to VOIP - cheaper monthly bill for me?

fedup_of_chelt
On our wavelength

A VM engineer has changed my landline option today so that my home phone is now connected to my broadband hub and use VOIP. This was needed as my phone line connection has been appalling over the last month, disconnections mid call, no connection, buzzing down the line etc.

How will this affect my monthly bill?

I’m expecting to no longer have to pay the monthly landline charge but what about call charges?

Would welcome some guidance so that I can better understand the change please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fedup_of_chelt wrote:

I’m expecting to no longer have to pay the monthly landline charge but what about call charges?

Basically, nothing changes. You now have a 21CV line. It’s not true VoIP, as the calls are NOT routed through the internet. You are still connected to the same headend exchange as with the copper twisted pair. Your router uses a separate RF channel to talk to the exchange equipment. The exchange is analogue, just as it always has been. So you are still paying for the same service. Landlines will not go fully digital until 2025, when it does become a VoIP service.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello fedup_of_chelt

Good news you now have a better line to use 

Good news is the cist remains the same

Good news all calls remain the same 

If you need any more help its advised here 

Gareth_L

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fedup_of_chelt wrote:

Basically, nothing changes. You now have a 21CV line. It’s not true VoIP, as the calls are NOT routed through the internet. You are still connected to the same headend exchange as with the copper twisted pair. Your router uses a separate RF channel to talk to the exchange equipment. The exchange is analogue, just as it always has been. So you are still paying for the same service. Landlines will not go fully digital until 2025, when it does become a VoIP service.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks