cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change current number?

Conrad3000
Tuning in

Hi all.

I'm with Plusnet at the moment and I'm going to cancel in a few days time due to no fibre in my area (currently on ADSL).

I signed up with Virgin a few weeks ago with a new landline number. I'd like to transfer my Plusnet number over.

How do I do this and do I notify PN or Virgin? Or both?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Conrad3000,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

Great to have you on board 🙂

We can request a number port but both lines must be active for us to do so. Once the port has completed, the old line will be disconnected. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ayisha_B wrote:

Hi @Conrad3000,

We can request a number port but both lines must be active for us to do so. Once the port has completed, the old line will be disconnected. 

Regards

In other words, do not cancel your PlusNet landline yourself or this will stop the number port process. Virgin will handle the cancellation of your landline.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks @nodrogd, that's spot on 😄

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks guys. So when I ring Plusnet to cancel, do I need some sort of code from them to give to Virgin?

Thanks for your reply Conrad3000,

Do you know if you had opted for a number port wen you signed up with us or is this a decision you have made later? If you have notified us as part of your sign up then we will have already handled tor you as part of your account set up. If this is a decision that you have made after signing up with us, then we will send you a private message to get your details so we can start the porting process with you and as Ayisha said, you will need to keep both accounts open until the number moves over.  This is all done back-office, there no codes like with mobile phones.

Cheers,

Corey C

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Conrad3000 wrote:

Thanks guys. So when I ring Plusnet to cancel, do I need some sort of code from them to give to Virgin?

As per my post 3 above:

“In other words, do not cancel your PlusNet landline yourself or this will stop the number port process. Virgin will handle the cancellation of your landline.”

If you contact them & cancel yourself you risk losing your number.

With landline number ports, the new provider handles the entire process. Only with mobile number ports do you contact both new & old providers.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Conrad3000
Tuning in

Cheers. And just to clarify; when I ring Plusnet to cancel my broadband, what do I tell them about keeping my landline number over to Virgin?

And after I've spoken to PN, do I then need to ring Virgin to say I've been in touch with (PN) and what are the next steps?

Sorry if this sounds like a repeat of what's been asked earlier.

PS. When I signed up with Virgin, they said the PN landline number should be no issue.

Feel free to advise them of the preference of keeping the landline number - they will then be expecting a request from Virgin Media

When are you due to have the Virgin Media services installed?

If you come to our Forum, when the services with Virgin Media are installed, we can assist you with the porting of the number from PlusNet to Virgin Media.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I've been with Virgin fibre for about a month. I just need to change the number they gave me to the Plusnet one.