cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive incoming calls

Strada
Joining in

Just want to help people who have this problem and have been told, or have been led to believe, that it is due to an incompatibility between their handset and the router/hub.  It isn't!

I've had a Superhub3 installed and with the phone now directly plugged into the router (no more separate BT sockets) I could ring out but not receive calls.

Many phone calls later I was told my handset was 'incompatible' and I spent many hours trying to get guidance on what 'incompatible' meant and where to buy a compatible handset, including buying (and returning) a new handset.

Fortunately my neighbour has the same hub, so I went next door with my phone, plugged it in and proved conclusively that my phone was fine.

VM now acknowledge that the fault is theirs and it will be fixed by this afternoon - fingers crossed

14 REPLIES 14

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Strada,

Welcome to the forums and many thanks for your post. I'm really sorry to hear you've been unable to receive incoming calls, as well as the lack of adequate advice given by our support team.

I'm glad we've now identified that there's a fault and are sending someone over for you - keep us posted and if you do require any further assistance following the visit, please don't hesitate to drop by to the forums, we'll be happy to assist.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Still no incoming calls☹️ over 24hrs after the promised fix.

Hey ho, another 30mins on the phone going through the whole story again beckons, I shall remain resolutely polite... promise

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Strada,

Thanks for posting back and sorry to hear that this still isn't fixed.

I'd like to take a further look into this for you to help. I'll send you a private message just to get some account details first, so please keep an eye on the purple envelope at the top of the page.

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks for the PM Molly_G but still no progress.  Just had another 45 min phone call going through all the same questions and checks again.  

I am now promised a solution within 5 days and a call from the IT department to confirm when it's fixed

Time will tell, trying to remain hopeful whilst bizarrely enjoying the absence of nuisance phone calls on our dead landline

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Strada,

Sorry again for the continued issue. As per my private message, I've liased with the telco team to enquire if there was an alternative solution that we could offer for this.

However, this error appears to be to do with part of your line pointing towards the old network - this is something our telephone faults team are raising with BT to resolve and so this should be done within the time frame you've been given.

Please keep us posted on this.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

Update!  I've had a phone call from an engineer (on the non functioning phone!) he said he got through on the landline only because he was using a digital phone.

He asked if we had just been migrated from analogue to digital (from twisted pair to direct to hub) then said he knows what the problem is and it's a simple fix which he will send an engineer to sort early next week - the implication being that it may not be a home visit (I should have asked but was obviously a bit over-excited).

Progress!!!!

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Strada,

Thanks for the update that's great news. This sounds like they will attempt the fix remotely with BT and if needed, they would arrange a visit. 

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

I have the same issue.

Went through a few checks to ensure all connections were secure, even rebooted the phone.#

Contacted the service team- was told to reboot the hub and warned that connection would be lost on the phone but was assured that I would be phoned back.

How could they phone me back when I cant receive calls. Had to phone back as rebooting the hub did not work.

An engineer is coming in a week to look at the issue. I hope we will receive a credit when we get our bill, as we are paying for a service that virgin cant deliver.  

Hi Tommytyrucker1

If you've been recently migrated from analogue to digital telephony (your phone now plugs into the router rather than the wall) then it's likely to be the same problem as me and I think it needs a remote fix by BT (so that incoming calls are re-routed to the Virgin VoIP system).  So I'm guessing Virgin Media need to place a service call with BT and hope that BT give it some measure of priority over their own customers - this is the bit that both worries me and may explain the delay.

As for a VM refund, I've not been offered one and my whole problem started when a VM engineer mistakenly cut our coax line!

On the upside, as I said above, it's been nice having no nuisance phone calls😒