Menu
Highlighted
Nodrap
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can I get landline connections via cable?

We are moving into a house which has 3 cable connections into 3 rooms and we would like to be able to connect a landline to these. Only two of these rooms have a wired phone socket and so I was wondering if it is possible to some kind of "box" that will turn a cable feed into just a phone socket? Or is it possible to re-purpose an old router to do this for us?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I get landline connections via cable?

There isnt really a gadget that does this as cordless telephones are so cheap now

0 Kudos
Nodrap
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We can't use a cordless phone as it is for work usage (which stipulate we must have a landline). Am just trying to avoid running another cable when there is one there already.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your work wont allow you to use a cordless landline?
0 Kudos
Nodrap
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can't have batteries running out when working for a phone based service. Could be all day on the phone.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All VM telephone connections are now VoIP, so require a connection to VMs modem/router. You are only allowed one of these per account, so where your router is will be where your telephone socket is. You can use extension leads, or Virgin will install an extension socket to a different location if you wish, but only as part of the initial install.

I would also point out that any local power failures, either at your house or on VMs network will result in loss of the telephone service.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Nodrap
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info. Does this mean that the existing phone sockets in two of the rooms will not work and I will just have the one from the back of the box?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Nodrap wrote:
Thanks for that info. Does this mean that the existing phone sockets in two of the rooms will not work and I will just have the one from the back of the box?

The only phoneline that will work is the one on the hub. You can request the installer use this to feed a slave socket elsewhere in the house if you want. However you must request this as part of the install & should not choose a self-install pack. If you request it after the install there will be a substantial additional charge.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped