cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 408 9340

Paul001
Superfast

Hi,

Had 3 calls in the last 5 days from 0800 408 9340 all claiming to be from VM offering me more packages for the landline.

Are these from VM or just a scam? 

Thanks

141 REPLIES 141

@Wetherm wrote:
Oh and whoever came up with the idea of sending people patronising emails saying "well done you,you've gone up a rank to 'tuning in'"etc wants sacking or putting in charge of watching paint dry somewhere.im a grown up **bleep** and dont want to waste time opening emails to find out someones given me the equivalent of a kids badge by email.Do you honestly think any1 gets one of these messages and contacts their friends to tell them of their 'promotion'? Just thought id mention it while Im on about your companies apparent policy of annoying its customers and ex customers by various contact methodsp

Absolutely right.  Yah OK?

Stupid ranks; a missed opportunity with badges which should have been used for expertise ratings.  Yah OK?  They'll be calling everybody "Hey" next!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

mjt_69
Tuning in

My wife has been receiving calls from this number to her mobile phone for weeks. My wife's number is not on the Virgin Media file. When she answers they say they will only speak with me. She has asked them to stop calling on her mobile, and to call me on my mobile or the land line. I phoned Virgin Media twice about this. They said "it must be our marketing guys", and they have changed my marketing permission (which should filter through in 30 days - I hope, but am not holding my breath). Today they have said that it must be Virgin Mobile phoning my wife (she and I both have Virgin Mobile contracts, but why are they asking to speak with me about her number!!??). While we know we can (and will) block the number, there is a part of me that feels we shouldn't have to, and I also want to get some comfort that we are not being targeted for a scam or fraud. We will check with Virgin Mobile to see if they are the culprits or not. If it is Virgin Media, as indicated by this thread, then I will continue my complaint with them.

Very frustrating.

Hi,

Craig can you do the same for me please?

I am sick of all the multiple daily calls from this number

If only I could get through on your customer service line, also VM don't have anything like a suitable option on the telephone menu!  

Please remove my wife's number from this system.  Please give customers have an email address if you can't answer your phone for 30 mins, whilst you are making unsolicited phone calls to my wife's non VM mobile. Please be warned that my ŵifes phone number is TPS registered, my next email will be to Ofcom / info commissioners  office.  

@mfldavsion wrote:

Please remove my wife's number from this system.  Please give customers have an email address if you can't answer your phone for 30 mins, whilst you are making unsolicited phone calls to my wife's non VM mobile. Please be warned that my ŵifes phone number is TPS registered, my next email will be to Ofcom / info commissioners  office.  

A solicitor's letter may be a better approach.  VM deliberately avoid making it easy through an online form for customers to oprt out of marketing calls and that should be the thrust of the letter's criticism.  Such a letter will cause default permission to be undone for any calls and, if you wish, marketing material, to be ceased.

Unfortunately that will cost you.  But OFCOM won't want to know and the Info COmmissioner wil discover that contractually you have not opted out of marketing material.

VM's contract states:

"However if you no longer wish to receive such information from us, please let us know by calling Customer Care or writing to us at PO Box 333, Virgin Media, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9BB. Remember that if you say you do not wish to receive any promotional material from us, this will preclude you from receiving any of our special offers or promotions which may be of interest to you and we will not share your information with other Virgin companies for them to market to you. You can opt out of receiving marketing information from other Virgin companies at any time by contacting them directly."

VM are truly shameless in this regard.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

http://www.cisas.org.uk/http://www.cisas.org.uk/
@mfldavsion wrote:

The calls stopped after a few days,  thanks to graig.

Very frustrating you cannot email Virgin, except they don't want an audit trail.

Virgin belong to CISAS who handle independent complaints for the public

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just had one of these calls on our VM landline - I don't mind proactive sales offers as such, but the (offshore) agent had no comprehension of security at all. I gave our postcode on request, that's not rocket science based on the dialling code anyway. They then wanted my method of payment, but refused to confirm anything account-specific until *after* I'd done that. I was going to suggest we exchanged digits of the account number, but it never got that far.

"I'll lose my job if I tell you that", she said.  "You could be anyone", I said - but it was like trying to reason with a blob of jelly. "You've said you're from VM, fine. I could tell you I'm standing on Mount Everest but what proof would you have?" didn't seem to go down very well...

I've had a similar exchange with my bank (First Direct) but they were quite willing to exchange digits of my password - I gave them 2 & 4, for example and they gave me 1 & 3. Seems a reasonable method all things considered.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I had this today.

The caller repeatedly asked for information such as "How do you pay your bill?" and "What services do you currently have?" to which I replied "You already know this. Why are you asking?"

Then some bull came out about Black Friday promotions and them being exclusive to current Virgin customers. A quick look at the VM web page shows Black Friday plastered all over everything. After more questions I said I'm not happy with this and put the phone down.

The only product I don't currently have at some level from VM is a mobile phone contract. Everytime my contracts are up with vodafone I get a quote from VM and you are always more expensive. Despite me buying internet, landline and TV, no deals can be done.

Googling the above phone number reveals nearly everybody believing it a scam to gain info, so things need to change PDQ.

So VM called my wife yet again.  I have written twice posted complaints on this site.  I can't call as Customer Services don't answer their phone they are too busy calling my wife.  I have written formal letters twice asking VM to stop calling my wife.  She is not the account holder I am. The only reason they have her number was for an engineers call some years ago.  I have blocked VM 0800 number, but they are now using different numbers to harass my wife. What do I have to do to stop these calls?