cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 408 9340

Paul001
Superfast

Hi,

Had 3 calls in the last 5 days from 0800 408 9340 all claiming to be from VM offering me more packages for the landline.

Are these from VM or just a scam? 

Thanks

141 REPLIES 141

drphil
On our wavelength

This is appalling and unbelievable. While BT is going to considerable lengths to stop nuisance calls through things like free caller id, VM is going in the opposite direction with their own nuisance calls, which are often uncomprehensibe, terminated prematurely etc etc.

James states " it is genuine as confirmed when you call back". It could be anyone who answers when you dial that number!!!!!!

And if genuine, why are VM breaking one of the cardinal rules of telephone phone security by asking for password details????

Have scammers now infiltrated what started off as genuine calls from VM?

What is needed now is IMMEDIATE action to stop these calls, not meaningless statements such as " as confirmed when you call back"

codiourso
On our wavelength

I just had one of these calls, hung up as soon as he started the "security questions" phase with "I don't give security answers to cold callers" - he tried to ring back a few times, I just dropped the call each time.

Having called customer services (from a differenct phone, and using the phone number from the website, not the caller ID) to inform them that scammers pretending to be VM are asking for security information, I was informed that this was actually a real call from VM, and was related to gathering information as to why I'm leaving VM (which I am) and the list of reasons just had "asking for security questions on cold calls" added to it.

Having read this thread I also hung up as soon as a call from this number arrived.

drphil
On our wavelength

I'll certainly do the same in future. The last call I had went something like this:

VM; "Hello is Mrs xxxxx there please?"

Me: "No sorry she's ........." (VM cuts off before I can answer).

The voicemails "left" are equally bad. Typically getting 2 or 3 in a row, they sound like my grandmother encountering voicemail for the first time:

"Hello, hello are you there Mrs xxxxx, is that you Mrs xxxxxx..... (VM hangs up)"

So this is the 21st century telemarketing face of a major international media group, one of whose core business activities is, er, communication !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had a number of calls too (presumably from this number) all trying to get me to take on Sky Sports and/or Movies. Every time I tell them I'm not interested and every time they try to talk me into it.

Just had them call again but as Ive better things to do than sit here, trying to understand what they're saying, I just said 'no thank you' and hung up. I've asked to be taken off their cold-calls list to no effect so I've had to block calls from this number now.

spell
Knows their stuff

I'm a bit surprised that in all the regular threads about nuisance calls nobody has come out with the age old deterrent of a sharp blast with a high pitched whistle into the mouthpiece (anything similar to a referees whistle). This was advice given by the police and in all the passing years any Goverment attempts to address the issue have been half hearted and pathetic.

Pain and ear damage can result so make sure it is actually a nuisance call before doing it and not the wife etc ringing you. It might also be as well to inform neighbours of the issue to stop them thinking you have gone mad.

Mick5226
Joining in

i have received calls from this number at least 20 times in the past 12 months asking for "Wayne", my name is Mick, not bloody Wayne. every time i ask to be removed from the database to which they state i have and hang up. yet i get more and more calls. i have reported this to Ofcom now and requested that the range 0800 408 to be removed from service for miss-use. i am sure this will cause alot of issues for Virgin Media as they will have thousands of customers who use this range! Well Done you!

Is there anyway of opting out off the junk mail service?i regulary get letters just addressed to 'the occupant' saying come join us etc.i have called customer services 3 times and requested my address be removed from the mailshot. ive been a virgin media customer before and wouldnt use the company again if every service and package was free+i was given £50 each month.i just want virgin to stop wasting my time and paper by sending out the letters.
Any advice/numbers other than regular customer services would be appreciated

Oh and whoever came up with the idea of sending people patronising emails saying "well done you,you've gone up a rank to 'tuning in'"etc wants sacking or putting in charge of watching paint dry somewhere.im a grown up **bleep** and dont want to waste time opening emails to find out someones given me the equivalent of a kids badge by email.Do you honestly think any1 gets one of these messages and contacts their friends to tell them of their 'promotion'? Just thought id mention it while Im on about your companies apparent policy of annoying its customers and ex customers by various contact methodsp

Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Wethern

I'm sorry to learn about the unwanted mail you've been receiving, I can check and update the marketing preferences on your account if you'd like. Just respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information.

You can view that message by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

Sorry again for the inconvenience this is causing, we'll talk soon.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide