cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 408 9340

Paul001
Superfast

Hi,

Had 3 calls in the last 5 days from 0800 408 9340 all claiming to be from VM offering me more packages for the landline.

Are these from VM or just a scam? 

Thanks

141 REPLIES 141

The problem is when they call you, you tell them to take you off the list and not to call you again. Someone else from the same number calls back same day or next day and it starts all over again. It should be an Opt in system and not an Opt out system.

James_W
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Paul

If you've opted out, you should remain opted out.

We'll check your account and see if we can find out what's happened here.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I had that call today and the lady was pleasant enough however ringing me and asking for my password in only the second sentence didn't sit well with me so I said that I wasn't prepared to give that information to her. 

She was fine and agreed with me, but surely if you need our password, maybe the odd character, not the whole one should suffice? 

Just a thought

I've just had the same call. I pointed out to the poor sod who rang me that it was both really intrusive and entirely unrealistic to expect somebody to make a commitment to upgrading/changing their package/handset in an unsolicited phone call.

Obviously this is a decision you would want to be able to think about, and where you need to take some time to look at your options, do your research etc. You are NEVER going to want to make such a snap decision as the one you are being asked to make.

I have blocked the number that made the call and am now very likely to leave Virgin Media because I do not appreciate this type of intrusion.

ChrisMartin
Tuning in

Had one call (unintelligble) and five calls from this number. Some sources say is a scam. 

SAFCDoog
On our wavelength

I've had a number of calls from this number this week, however I don't answer numbers on my mobile I don't know, so just let them ring out.  It would be helpful had the caller left a message rather than get me to check who's trying to contact me!

@ChrisMartin wrote:

Had one call (unintelligble) and five calls from this number. Some sources say is a scam. 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone/Calls-from-0800-408-9340/m-p/3008440#M76966

Confirmed as a VM number.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Five calls in last two days. Asked for my password and I told them I don't give it out to unsolicited cold callers. Virgin need to stop this extreme annoyance.

@James_W

James - this has got to stop. The people complaining here are statistically significant in terms of the otherwise silent majority. VM should know better than to pester their customers like this especially in these scam rife days - demanding passwords. How crass can VM be getting.

Please send these sentiments upstairs.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

I agree it has to stop - I have had multiple calls to my mobile every weekday for the past month and a half. Crazy.

I've just registered my mobile phone on the TPS service and expect Virgin to stop calling me. I don't agree with having to actively tell Virgin to stop the sales calls, it should be opt in not opt out.