cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 408 9340

Paul001
Superfast

Hi,

Had 3 calls in the last 5 days from 0800 408 9340 all claiming to be from VM offering me more packages for the landline.

Are these from VM or just a scam? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

James_W
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi

I understand that these calls aren't appreciated by everyone, and would urge that if any of our customers no longer wish to receive calls from us, that you should contact our customer service team on the usual numbers - 150 / 0345 454 1111 and we'll be able to take your number off the list.

I can confirm that 0800 408 9340 is a Virgin Media line, as confirmed when you call it back (it's 0800 so it's free on a landline).

Apologies for the inconvenience,

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

141 REPLIES 141

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

@Paul001 wrote:

Hi,

Had 3 calls in the last 5 days from 0800 408 9340 all claiming to be from VM offering me more packages for the landline.

Are these from VM or just a scam? 

Thanks

It is VM's marketing number. if it bothers you, you can opt out of those calls by contacting customer services and asking not to receive marketing calls anymore.

Thanks for the reply. You would think they have a better system knowing they had already contacted a customer rather than keep harassing them.

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

@Paul001 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. You would think they have a better system knowing they had already contacted a customer rather than keep harassing them.

Yeap you would think so, but they only seem to take cognizance of the opt out marker on an account and rightfully leave those account holders with said marker alone.

isthisok
On our wavelength

Had one of these calls today when I started asking questions about the new speed upgrade they were offering me they seemed very surprised that I knew my speed was being increased anyway at no extra cost some time between July and September they asked me to hold while they checked that I was entitled to it so I held and after 2mins they dropped the call it seems they think their customers are a bit dense as far as maths and being conned into spending more are concerned the other thing I cannot understand is why call me on my pay as you go mobile when I have a virgin media phone line.

For all of your information, this number does not belong to VM. It is a bogus call. They rang me on my mobile whilst the account they were asking about belongs to my Mum. When I questioned them on why they were ringing me on my mobile and where they got the number from, they stated that they would have records of any numbers which have contacted them in the past - which I have never contacted them by mobile before always by house phone as it is free to call. They blanked and hesitated before I hung up and rang VM by house phone to see if it was them. It wasn't. They said they are aware of bogus calls and are tackling it, but this number does not belong to VM.

@KathrynGill1993 wrote:

For all of your information, this number does not belong to VM. It is a bogus call. They rang me on my mobile whilst the account they were asking about belongs to my Mum. When I questioned them on why they were ringing me on my mobile and where they got the number from, they stated that they would have records of any numbers which have contacted them in the past - which I have never contacted them by mobile before always by house phone as it is free to call. They blanked and hesitated before I hung up and rang VM by house phone to see if it was them. It wasn't. They said they are aware of bogus calls and are tackling it, but this number does not belong to VM.

It's VM's outbound retentions team. If you dial it, it will state that message. Plenty of people have been contacted on their mobile by the out bound retention team in the past and some of them have chosen to opt out of marketing calls since then.

Kaouthia
Just joined

I just received a number from this call on my mobile.

Some woman with an accent I could barely understand.  When she said "And do you remember your virgin password?" I said "I'm not going to give that out over the phone to some random person calling me out of the blue", they said "thank you for your time" and hung up.

Seems to me like some sort of a scam.

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

@Kaouthia wrote:

I just received a number from this call on my mobile.

Some woman with an accent I could barely understand.  When she said "And do you remember your virgin password?" I said "I'm not going to give that out over the phone to some random person calling me out of the blue", they said "thank you for your time" and hung up.

Seems to me like some sort of a scam.

Unfortunately the easy online opt out method I used to link to is gone, you'll have to contact customer services and ask to be opted out of marketing calls. If you call into customer services about this (150 / 0345 454 1111) go with the customer relations department which an be reached by choosing option 5 > option 3. Ask agent you speak to opt you out of marketing calls. Customer relations is available from 8AM to 8PM for Monday to Friday, and less hours on Saturday (closed on Sunday.)

Or use the contact us option to request the opt out:  http://contact.virginmedia.com/ > Account and Billing > My broadband, TV and Home phone package. Click 'Chat Online' to get through to an agent and request aforementioned opt out.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
I know Shelke is trying to help and staying calm.

But you should see the rage I'm in at getting such a call from a foreign call centre trying to sell me a mobile that doesn't have 4G (VM Mobile).

That there is no convenient way of opting out from receiving marketing crap is a blot on VM's reputation. Shame on them.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)