Menu
DisneyQueen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Caller display

Following the Ofcom decision that all telecom providers are no longer able to charge for the caller display facility from 1 October 2018, are Vigin Media going to automatically provide caller display to all telephone customers from this date EVEN IF the customer didn't subscribe to caller display before that date?

OR, will those customers who did not subscribe to caller display have to contact Virgin Media to opt in?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller display

OFCOM,s ruling is summarised below:

C6.2 Regulated Providers must provide Calling Line Identification Facilities, and enable them by default, unless they can demonstrate that it is not technically feasible or economically viable to do so.

C6.3 Regulated Providers must inform Subscribers if Calling Line Identification Facilities are not available on the service they are providing to those Subscribers.

C6.4 When providing Calling Line Identification Facilities, Regulated Providers must:
(a) ensure, so far as technically feasible, that any CLI Data provided with and/or associated with a call includes a valid, diallable Telephone Number which uniquely identifies the caller; and
(b) respect the privacy choices of End-Users.

C6.5 Regulated Providers must not charge Subscribers any additional or separate fee for access to or use of standard Calling Line Identification Facilities.

Looks pretty comprehensive to me.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
DisneyQueen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Great thanks 👍

0 Kudos
ian-c
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

OFCOM,s ruling is summarised below:

C6.2 Regulated Providers must provide Calling Line Identification Facilities, and enable them by default, unless they can demonstrate that it is not technically feasible or economically viable to do so.

C6.3 Regulated Providers must inform Subscribers if Calling Line Identification Facilities are not available on the service they are providing to those Subscribers.

C6.4 When providing Calling Line Identification Facilities, Regulated Providers must:
(a) ensure, so far as technically feasible, that any CLI Data provided with and/or associated with a call includes a valid, diallable Telephone Number which uniquely identifies the caller; and
(b) respect the privacy choices of End-Users.

C6.5 Regulated Providers must not charge Subscribers any additional or separate fee for access to or use of standard Calling Line Identification Facilities.

Looks pretty comprehensive to me.

I like section C6.4 (a) in particular.

------------------------------------------------------------
Customer since June 1994
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA
Contention reference "F002896495", - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening. Ongoing since March 2014.
After some network upgrading, fault reference became F004952644 with some improvement to evening speeds.
18 review dates. Last review February 2019
0 Kudos
DisneyQueen
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nodrogd,

And there's me having faith that for once the system would work. 

Sadly, even though Ofcom have ruled that from today caller ID (display) should be provided by default it didn't happen in my case.

After 30 mins waiting on hold for customer non-services, I was informed that it is only provided by  default for NEW customers. Funny, Ofcom didn't specify NEW customers in what you kindly posted.

Apparently (I think) caller ID (display) has now been added for me, although it still isn't working. The guy I spoke to may have said wait 24 hours, don't know, was hard to understand.

Will have to wait until tomorrow now to see if it works otherwise it's yet another call to customer non-services.

Just want to get my call blocking phone up and running.

0 Kudos
WhoDaWhat
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On the phone to Virgin Media, they want to charge me £2.25 for caller display. Pointed out Ofcom rules, person checked and has now added it.

0 Kudos
DisneyQueen
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WhoDaWhat,

have you checked if caller display is working for you? Mine wasn't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ian-c
Rising star
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I guess the correct information is not getting through??? The post below is one week old on this thread.

@Louise_F@  wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community.

The caller display feature that is being rolled out for all customers we have now been advised should be automatically added to the line and if not on then we can manually add this for free.

The feature is just a display function on the handset that shows you the number. So if your phone is actually speaking the number out this will be a feature on the handset and you will need to have a look at the manual to turn this off if not required. If you don't have the user manual you should be able to search for this online.

If there is anything else I can help you with just pop back and let us know 🙂

Take care,

Louise

Forum Support Team

------------------------------------------------------------
Customer since June 1994
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA
Contention reference "F002896495", - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening. Ongoing since March 2014.
After some network upgrading, fault reference became F004952644 with some improvement to evening speeds.
18 review dates. Last review February 2019
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All phone "upgrades" occur at midnight after the change is asked for. That is the way the system has always worked.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
FatTed
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As yet it hasn`t been added to my package. So phoned up. No hassle. They said it would be added for free and will be available within 24 hours. Here`s hoping VM will keep to that commitment,

0 Kudos