cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Id shows calls from "No Number" every 2 hours

rnmh1964
Tuning in

I have been having continual problems with my landline since it was connected to the hub and WiFi. At the moment my caller ID on the phone continually shows that every 2 hours I am receiving a call from "no number" and this occurs over a 24 hour period each and every day. The phone does not ring so that is not the issue, more that I am concerned that there is a problem with the actual phone line as when the engineer came to install it, what should have taken a few minutes took much longer as it didn't set up at first. I have spoken on the phone with a Virgin representative who says these frequent "No number" calls are not showing at Virgin's end so my handset must be faulty. Well it ISNT because I have purchased a brand one and the exact same thing is happening! I now have to scroll back through about 18 missed calls to see if someone has genuinely tried to ring me. I am concerned that there is an error on the line. Thjs never occurred when the line was connected to the socket. Please rectify this or at the end of my contract I will be looking elsewhere.  The fault is definitely NOT with the handset 

27 REPLIES 27

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

We're sorry to see you're still getting this issue, DavidEvison.
Please, bear with us while we're working on the fixes. 
Our team will reach out in case they need more info from you or to let you know it's been resolved.
Do keep us here posted so we know once it's been sorted, happy to advise on any other questions or concerns you may have in the meantime so just give us a shout if you need anything more. ^AG

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, just an update with some further information about these “phantom” calls that I continue to experience

The times of the “calls” as logged on my BT 8610 seem to follow a definite pattern.  For the past week, the times have always ended in 3, eg 1:53, 21:43, 23:33.  The week or so prior to that they all ended in 02 and I can see similar patterns all the way back to the original start point.

I have also noticed that the logged  times are sometimes not actual times, for example I have one log today at 63:43.and when I’ve looked back there was   one logged as 63:13 last Friday. This appears to suggest that the time stamp is being generated by the VM system, not my handset as the handset  could not generate these.

Hopefully this information will help VM pinpoint the problem and find a solution.

As long as this persists it renders my call log pretty unusable as I need to scroll back through a days worth of calls to find any genuine missed calls so I’m hoping that  VM will soon have a fix.

I’m now wishing I had resisted the VM suggestion to switch from my traditional landline to the hub-based  VOIP version.

@DavidEvison wrote:

Hi, just an update with some further information about these “phantom” calls that I continue to experience

<snip>

As long as this persists it renders my call log pretty unusable as I need to scroll back through a days worth of calls to find any genuine missed calls so I’m hoping that  VM will soon have a fix.

I’m now wishing I had resisted the VM suggestion to switch from my traditional landline to the hub-based  VOIP version.

The main topic on this issue (currently at a blockbusting 33 pages)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Constant-quot-no-number-calls-quot-since-moving-to-I...

hints at the possibility of some slow progress towards a fix in the latest posts

Hello DavidEvison,

Thank you for your reply.

Just a quick message to make sure you have a look at the post that @goslow has happily shared above.

Gareth_L

This issue is getting worse for me.  Today my phone was continuously flashing for over an hour indicating an “ incoming call” being processed by the call screening feature.  Of course it was not a real call, just one of the frequent phantom “ no number” events.  During this time the phone was unable to receive  genuine incoming calls or make outgoing calls.  In the end I had to unplug  the line cord to clear the “call”. Come on VM surely you can do better than this to resolve the issue that has been going on for 3 months in my case (and longer for others, I suspect)

Such pity that in clutching to maintain the telephone line rental charges, the telcos like Virgin Media and BT have not moved customers to a true VOIP phone service.

What we are left with in VM case is a mish mash of legacy analogue telephones often of poor quality cludged on to a closed and poorly secured VOIP platform.

The main topic is now at 79 pages!!! I'll post my reply here as well just in case...

I just plugged my BT phone into the Hub 5 yesterday and woke up to several of these ghost calls. They're every 50 minutes. They started after I dialled 174 to find out my phone number (unsuccessfully, by the way!) at 5:39 pm and then called my landline from my mobile at 5:44 pm. The calls started at 1:24 am and were every 50 minutes until 7:14 am. I saw this at around 9:15 am this morning, scrolled through the logs and it's just started up again at 9:44 am (a 2.5 hour break)!

Not a great start to my Virgin Media experience, I must say!!!

The main topic as of 20 APR 23 is now 79 pages!